someone take me to school on bilstein shocks and part numbers

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright,

my stockers are totally trashed, so after searching it seems like a majority of the people are very happy with bilsteins. now, my question:

the bilstein website application guide for the HD's, here:
Bilstein, where you then click here:
http://www.bilstein.com/303truckssuvs.pdf

lists
for 99-04 in the HD model, F4-BE5-2818-H0 front and F4-BE5-C296-H0 rear, which corresponds to the eshocks.com listing for HD bilsteins for our trucks.

the bilstein website application guide for the 5100 series, here:
Bilstein
lists the same part number F4-BE5-2818-H0 for the front, but a F4-BE5-2819-H0 for the rear, but has them footnoted as being yellow bodies and not zinc plated bodies.

so wtf is the deal? which shocks are which? are the 5100s not actually the 5100 shock with the active valving? or are the "HD" shocks actually 5100s? what gives?

the bilstein website says that the "HD" shocks are:

HEAVY DUTY (HD)
For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without
sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use,
while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

and that the 5100 series are:

5100 SERIES
For specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock OEM mounting configuration.
Self-adjusting deflective disc valving, Independent rebound and compression with superior control for larger diameter tires.

so they clearly shouldn't be the same shock....

also, is anyone running 5150s with the stem conversion for the top of the fronts?? what are the stock shock extended and compressed lengths? or just a 5150 at all?

Thanks,
Paul

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eshocks.com is about all the skoolin' i needed...

i installed the ones that fit my application (no lift)
they are painted (btw)...love 'em, should have put 'em on
earlier than i did !

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This another mod that I totally agree with Bush on. Should have done them earlier. I will not own another truck without putting on Bilsteins.

Dave :)

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right. thanks, but still doesn't answer my question at all.

bilstein lists the same part number for the HD shock and 5100 shock. the HD shocks do not feature active valving, whereas the 5100s do. is the F4-BE5-2818-H0 an active valving shock, or not?

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i was gonna give the east office a call when i got off work. just wondering if anyone had dealt with this or run across the discrepancy before.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's your answer.

the BE5-2818 and BE5-2819 are HD shocks, NOT 5100s. 2819 has been superseded by the C296. these shocks are valved at 298/36 and 244/42 front and rear. they will work with up to 2" of lift in the front, and 0" in the back.

the 5100 part numbers that fit that application (2" fr, 0" rr) are the BE5-6249-H5 rear and BE5-A463-H5 front. these shocks are valved more generically at 255/70 both front and rear. the 5100s require a sleeve in the bottom bushing to correct the sleeve size for our trucks. the part number is at home. i need to reverify all these numbers with that sheet.

both the HD shocks and 5100 series shock, though not the same shock, feature active valving. given the more application specific valving on the HD shocks, i think they'll be a better fit to our trucks with so much weight up front and so little when unloaded out back. i'm gonna order a set of HD's, and i'll post up some pics when i get them in.

these answers are straight from bilstein's eastern US hq.

later,
Paul

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the 28xx's on mine...LOVE 'em...nice firm ride but not harsh either !
huge improvement over the stock <rancho wannabe> JUNK !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58