Something to Think About

hpprose

Sponsor
Reaction score
How much smoke are you talking? I get just a small puff. Is that something that I should worry about? Truck has 145,580 on it.

When it is cold, and your plugs are out, it can puff a boat load, much like my truck does now with black smoke when I’m on it (yeah, 205cc!). But basically the truck will smoke enough that you start wondering if you have serious problems or not.

When I was a tech on the 7.3's, you couldn't see anything around when I would try to start a truck that had been sitting for a couple days.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
How much smoke are you talking? I get just a small puff. Is that something that I should worry about? Truck has 145,580 on it.

mine would cough & belch up the aforementioned acre cloud.. and fought like a SOB to start, even on 50degree fall mornings.. when I changed my GP's, I think I had two that would glow at all, and they never got much past a dull red, nothing like the hot, cherry red they're supposed to get..

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
:lmao:lmao Fired'em up back in Marshall MI one morning.. Dead still morning..two guyz stand'n, have'n Coffee.. I climbed back out'n said: AHHHH, I love the smell of Dezel Fuel in the Morning (Armagedon like:sly)

I don't think they got it.:D:D

"I love the smell of dezel in the morning. You know, one time I had a campground fogged for twelve hours. When it was all over, I walked through there. Didn't find one of them. Not one stinkin' mosquito body. The smell, the dezel smell, the whole campground. Smelled like.. victory."
(With apologies to Lieutenent Colonel Bill Kilgore)

Last edited:

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one thing that makes me cautious, their troubleshooting section warns against afterglow..
I dunno about 6.Slows, but 7.3's are an afterglow system.. Ford does it for smoke control..

What exactly is it about the afterglow that has you worried? I'm not too sure about afterglow. All I know is that some vehicles have the glow plugs still on after starting for a couple of seconds for emission control.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
What exactly is it about the afterglow that has you worried? I'm not too sure about afterglow. All I know is that some vehicles have the glow plugs still on after starting for a couple of seconds for emission control.

Borg-Warner cautions against using them in afterglow systems, which is what 7.3's are.

Ford runs them on the 7.3's for up to two minutes after start-up depending on temperature, for smoke control

It's not what I'm worried about, it's what BWD is worried about. And I would surmise, it's because they glow so hot they don't want them burning out.

Last edited:

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borg-Warner cautions against using them in afterglow systems, which is what 7.3's are.

Ford runs them on the 7.3's for up to two minutes after start-up depending on temperature, for smoke control

It's not what I'm worried about, it's what BWD is worried about. And I would surmise, it's because they glow so hot they don't want them burning out.

During start-up, the pre-glow andafter-glow helps your diesel fuel burn more evenly and completely.

Not sure where it cautions against using them in afterglow systems. In fact there is even a plug for our applications. Where are you seeing it that Borg Warner cautions against using them in afterglow systems?

Last edited:

hpprose

Sponsor
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm stupid, but the brochure says that these glow plugs have pre-glow and after-glow which helps burn your diesel fuel more evenly and completely.

Where are you seeing the afterglow warning?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58