Son of a...!!!

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if getting the original exhaust out of the exhaust hangars wasn't bad enough, I just dropped the 11mm nut that goes to the turbo band clamp. Yep, the "Jesus Bolt" of the exhaust, if you will. Guess where it is. Yeah, I don't know either.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
pick-up the truck and turn it over, and then shake it all around.

maybe it will fall out. :D

really dude, hope you find, would hate for ya to turn it over, and you hear a really loud clanking sound.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, one auto parts store and two hardware stores later I finally got a nut that will fit the clamp (it cost $0.30 and a meal at the Waffle House for two). Finished everything up and crossed my fingers...nothing bad...yet. I don't like were the nut is but I'd have to take the turbo off and a bunch of other parts I don't know the names of to get it out. If it didn't fall out when I went for a drive then its still on top of the engine block. I think thats where it stopped. It sucks but there really isn't anything that I can do about it that I haven't already done for an hour.

Oh yeah, its sounds awsome too!

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I went through the same thing on the 01 and never did find the nut. I used magnets, mirrors and an assortment of choice words. Where does it go????

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Congrats on it running fine for ya! Glad to see that you didn't post anything about a horrible engine noise and related problems. Enjoy your exhaust.
Craig

Reaction score
ha i got yall beat i lost the bolt search for bout an hour removed the entire intake checked top of transmission frame rails every where ended up orderin some 1/4 inch all thread and weldin anut on one end

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stuck the MBRP 4" single pipe. Seems as though I lost the kitty in the ordeal too (might be hiding in the attic:sly ) Can anyone tell me how long before all of the oil finally burns off? Its stinks and is getting annoying. I almost s#%@ a brick when I first fired it up but then realized all of the oil on the inside of the pipes was burning off. Thought it was the nut burning!

The job itself didn't seem like it was going to be hard after reading the instructions and as it turns out, it wasn't. Of all you guys on here, nobody bothered to mention how much of a pain in the butt getting the stock exhaust out of the hangars was going to be. Just in case anyone is wondering, that is the hardest part. I spent 40 minutes on the two on the back of the muffler. I cheated on the others and unbolted the whole thing from the frame and pulled them off later.

The instructions said, "loosen the bolts on the back of the cat and pull back of the exhaust in one piece." Well what it failed to include was, "in one piece if your truck is on a lift." So after wrestling with the pipe and not getting the result I wanted, I decided I would get the upper hand and cut the pipe off. I won. Then took everything else off. Started to put the down pipe on, dropped the nut as stated before, fit all of the rest of the system, crossed my fingers that I cut the extension pipe to the right length (I did), talked to the neighbor (he said I looked like I needed help and two hours earlier I did) and then tightened the whole thing up. Now I need somebody to drive it around the block so I can see what it sounds like. I don't think I would even trust anyone to do that but I might have to bite the bullet just for a minute.

So for anyone who reads this who is thinking of doing it yourself, I'm 25, work with electronics, never done metal work, have minimal tools and intimidated when it comes to stuff like this and, with the exception of the MIA nut, got-er-done. Its a good way to save some money and it feels like you accoplished something. Some friends will say, "Ooooo, you did that yourself...nuh-uh."

Big Tone

Powerstroker
Reaction score
I know its a little late now, but if you use the little red tube that comes taped to the can of WD40, squirt the Wd inside the rubber gromet hangers, wait about 15 minutes and they will pull right off!
And the T-bolt clamp on the turbo, BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58