Sonic Blue Super Duties

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Does anybody here know what years Ford sold the Super Duties with the color Sonic Blue and how many were made? I have been searching for the last couple of days and really cant find any info.

Here is what i am looking for:
db_IMG_14771.jpg

Thanks for your help,
-Mike

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike, no we don't have that information. A lot would be my guess. but no numbers. Welcome to SDD and stay awhile.

Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Howdy Mike and Welcome to SDD:thumbs

The only year I recall that had Sonic Blue was the 2003 models.
The '04 & '05 models was True Blue Clearcoat Metallic which is somewhat darker compared to the Sonic Blue.

Bill:cowboy:

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome :thumbs I actually joined back in October, I have been doing alot of reading about 7.3 vs 6.0. I am looking at getting a truck and just trying to figure out what i want.

CHPMustang said:
The only year I recall that had Sonic Blue was the 2003 models.
The '04 & '05 models was True Blue Clearcoat Metallic but I don't know how close it is compared to the Sonic Blue.

Bill:cowboy:

I did some more looking and you are right, 2003 was the first year they introduced the color to the superduty, however i couldnt find if they continuted it in 2004 or not. I know they used it on the Ford Lightning in only '03 and 04.

True blue is an alright color, our mobile truck here at work is that color actually, but Sonic Blue is 10x better.

Besides, i need a matching set (sonic blue car and truck) ;)

I'll keep looking and if i find any info i will post it.
-Mike

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
I was surpised at how many 03 Sonic Blue trucks i was able to find on Autotrader.com. I couldnt find a single 04 so i am just going to assume that Sonic Blue was an option for only 2003.

With that said i did find this: 03 F350 Dually

I seen some 2003 trucks advertised with both the 7.3L and the 6.0L. Did ford swap to the 6.0 half way through the year? How do i find out which engine it has (a number/letter in the VIN perhaps)?

I also saw on the boards about a Ford Oasis report i can get, is there any way to get that online? Its kind of a pain to call back to the states from here.

Lastly, how does the price look? I did a quick check on KBB and it looks to be about $500 below the price you would pay at a dealer. Think i have room to talk them down?

Again, thanks for your help.:hail
-Mike

Last edited:

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
Mike... $25-27+ would be a pretty good buy IF it is in good shape and a 7.3. This is being very conservative based on Edmunds.com and KBB. A super nice truck, well maintained, is always worth more in my book... fewer things to spend $$$ on after you buy it. I always figure on extra $$$ needing to be spent on a used truck anyway. A lot of times the dealer has permission to give you the name and number of the previous owner and the dealer will give you a copy of all service records and a Carfax if they want to sell it. Ford offered both the 7.3 and the 6.0 in 2003. I suspect that you may hear from a lot of folks warning you about the early 6.0's and a few will say they have had no problems. Do your homework and you will come to a conclusion about the early 6.0's. That is a beautiful truck and I hope you buy a good one worth the money. I am on my second 7.3, 200k on my last one, a '97, and 65k on my current '02 and no more than routine wear and tear... love the trucks and 7.3 engine.

Give them a call on their toll-free number. They may be "hungry" to sell a truck. Most dealers in middle Tennessee where I live will turn a truck for $500-1000 quick profit if they haven't had to hold on to it for too long.

Last edited:

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
FastColts said:
Mike... $25-27+ would be a pretty good buy IF it is in good shape and a 7.3. This is being very conservative based on Edmunds.com and KBB. A super nice truck, well maintained, is always worth more in my book... fewer things to spend $$$ on after you buy it. I always figure on extra $$$ needing to be spent on a used truck anyway. A lot of times the dealer has permission to give you the name and number of the previous owner and the dealer will give you a copy of all service records and a Carfax if they want to sell it. Ford offered both the 7.3 and the 6.0 in 2003. I suspect that you may hear from a lot of folks warning you about the early 6.0's and a few will say they have had no problems. Do your homework and you will come to a conclusion about the early 6.0's. That is a beautiful truck and I hope you buy a good one worth the money. I am on my second 7.3, 200k on my last one, a '97, and 65k on my current '02 and no more than routine wear and tear... love the trucks and 7.3 engine.

Thanks for the great info. I just did a CARFAX report on it and it came up as a 6.0L.
tired.gif
Ill do a search, but what are the major problems with the 6.0? If it is just some minor stuff i am not going to be worried about it, I am a Heavy Equipment mechanic anyway so i am not worried about tearing into the truck once the warrenty has run out, but oviously i dont want a truck that is always going to be broke.

Give them a call on their toll-free number. They may be "hungry" to sell a truck. Most dealers in middle Tennessee where I live will turn a truck for $500-1000 quick profit if they haven't had to hold on to it for too long.

I emailed them. Being that i am on a military base in the middle east we only get 15 minutes to talk on the phone so it is a pain calling people. Good thing is that i have untill the end of this year to find a truck (that is when i am comming back to the states).

Again, thanks for the info.

Shaggy said:
good to see another cobra owner here!

And i see yours isnt stock either, what do you have done to it? And dont be shy, post pictures
burnout.gif

Are you on any mustang boards? The only one i am on (that gets through the work filters) is SVTPerformance.com

-Mike

Last edited:

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
Mike... I'm out of my league on the 6.0 (and a lot of other things too :sorry ) but there are a lot of folks who really know their stuff on this site. You can find a lot in the 6.0 section and on the "other" site as well. I've just heard and read enough on the two sites to be a bit "gun shy" of the 6.0. I'll probably get flamed by happy 6.0 owners! :cussing: There are a lot of recalls and lawsuits against Ford from what I have read. Do a few searches and you'll find plenty of information.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No flames, but there are a lot of happy 6.0 owners here and else where. I like mine and I have had no problems in 55,000 + miles.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14