Question Sonnax or transgo ????????

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to up grade my pump and valve body, I like to get some help on witch one to use,i pull heavy 22.000 lbs.just confused :dunno.does the transgo have a full kit like the sonnax surecure. and what is the difference and or the best one for my use. i need to down shift and i like to have my lock up go on and off with no pwm if possible ,please help thank you ;tu David

JRJ04

Reaction score
Jody at DP Tuner reccomends the transgo shift kit. You should give him a call too and tell him what you're towing. You'd be amazed at the difference his tunes can make. With you towing a large amount, he would not add much power to your truck so you really wouldnt run the risk of messing anything up. He's an excellent guy to deal with and I highly reccomend him!

dpantazis

Reaction score
David-

i would get in touch with one of the PSD trans guys like Brians Truck Show or John Wood and get an upgraded valve body from them exchange. I got mine from BTS.

its really not much more money than doing it all yourself, and you can be assured that it was done right. its a simple unbolt and rebolt. no springs, no orings, no fuss no muss.

the transgo plate is really neat, it sandwiches between the valve body and the orifices in the plate restrict the flows.

dp

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the transgo tugger kit have everything the sonnax kit have and visa versa.i like to have the ttc on/off and the down shift option

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no tugger & the sonnax both have pieces the other does not.

The sonnax is missing the main valve body pieces it only addresses the front pump & the accumulator body.

Tugger kit is missing the rear bushing, and center support gasket, unit endplay shims ( not compatible with the 6 pinion reverse planetary)

Both include EPC updated EPC blow off of different "updated" designs, OD piston return spring retaining ring.

As to the PWM and removing PWM if you have it I'm not too sure how easily that will be done but not all 4r100s have PWM. You'd have to talk to a real transmission guy to get a good answer there.

The tugger will lockup the converter with and give it the pressure it needs to hold it.

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if i get the tugger kit should i also get any othe transgo kits with the tugger kit?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the question is what are you willing to do yourself? If you're doing a complete rebuild then you can get the pieces that sonnax has in their kit form your parts supplier.

The tugger kit will have more pieces and parts that the "normal" mechanic will not want to touch and in all honesty it doesn't make enough of a difference to go that far in the transmission unless you're rebuilding it completely.

What I would suggest is to get the tugger kit that was liked earlier, install all of the pieces for the main valve body, accumulator body and front pump. I kept with this game plan until I needed a full rebuild and just installed the other pieces then. All you should have is a lip seal o-ring and a spiral snap ring.

Either way to answer the original question no, you won't need any other parts.

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have rebuilt many 4L60E and 4R80E ,but all where just stock rebuild ,never did 4R100, I have picked up another trans for my truck and want to do it all over with the best parts heavy hauling

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58