sounds like chains........

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I am driving with the window down and go over a bump, I hear what sounds like a very faint chain rattling. It sounds like it is coming from the driver side front suspension. Is that normal? It is not very loud, but definetaly there.

Oh.....and by the way, I do not have any chains on the truck, in the bed, in the cab, on the hitch, etc.

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
I used to have the same problem coming from the rear end on my dads 1984 Grand Marquis. My sister fixed it by driving it into a creek about 15 ft deep.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
somehow I don't think that's how he is going to fix his problem:eek:

Try this:dunno

There is a bracket on the front steering linkage that is tightened after an alignment is done to keep the rods from moving. Mine was left loose and I heard a dinging noise at times?

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same noise coming from the rear of my Ex, re-tourqed all the tires, and low and behold the noise went away, however to my surprise there were a few lugs that were not quite as tight as I thought they should be. Re-torque to 165#'s and good to go!

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could there be any loose nuts/washers anywhere? My Dad had a 1970 F100 (bought new) that developed a rattle in the front end that sounded like a chain or a bell ringing. To make a long story short, it was later determined to be a loose nut on top of one of the Twin I Beam axles. Once the nut was tightened, the noise was gone.

flyguy51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
James

I've got an '06 F-250 spd FX4.

I had a similar sound and it turned out to be a failure if the main shaft bearing in the transfer case. Warrenty took car of every thing.

Good luck

Flyguy

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flyguy....what did you tell the dealer was the problem? Did you explain the sound better than I did?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
budro-
are you referring to the drag link. i just had mine replaced w/ all the other work i had done, they said if i did not do it w/ the ball joints and did the alignment it would be shot after the first pothole. well now today while turning a cicle (full steering lock) the front end made a wierd noise. like a tire was going flat, like the ground was dry and then hit wet pavement and slipped a little (like it was on wet ground).:dunno gonnna try and duplicate w/ out the trlr. on...

janders- as for your issue, any one of the above make sense to me, check them all out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58