Spare Tire Lowering Contraption

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I decided to check my spare after reading a post in here. I found out I don't have the little four inch piece called a " spare tire key lock", the part that goes on the end of your jack crank handle and lowers the spare down. I called my dealer and he said I would NEVER be able to match a new one up and I would have to bring it in to have the lock removed so thet I could just use the handle without the key lock. Question, has anyone ever removed their spare without cutting the cable or otherwise destroying the frame/winch/vehicle? I borrowed a friends spare and threw it in the bed till I can figure this out! Thanks for any help......

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
You might be able to try your friends to lower it. I heard somewhere that only 8 different ones were made so you might want to try some friends keys b4 going to that :D

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Never be able to match it? I think that a bunch of crud. Do you realize how many individual shapes FORD would have to have made? One per truck serial number. Yeah.. no.

jd87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine out pretty easily: I found a socket that is just the right size and a long extension for it, then drove the socket onto the lock. Then I could turn the spare down, and I was lucky enough that when I pulled on the extension, the socket was rusty enough that it held and pulled the lock out with it. I've also done it with the bed off, which is ideal because then I just pulled it out with some pliers, but I know that's too much work to go through (I was lucky and had to pull the bed off anyway). Once the lock's out, the flat end of the jack handle fits into the opening to crank it down.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when I bought my truck, I did not have the spare or holder. When I saw that I needed a key, which was not included, I took a pair of pliers and pulled the "lock" off of the spare contraption. Was not too tough.
It has been awhile, but I would see if you can remove the black plastic cone the guides the rod to the lock, and see if you can twist the lock off.

Have Fun

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, thank y'all for your input, I tried two different lock keys and they did not work. I just worry that I'll pay Ford $60 to get the lock removed just to find out the Lowering Contraption ( winch) is tore up!
Thanks again for the help.....Bern

Jspafford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dude... I just went to my dealer and they have a master set of keys. They will try each key and find the one you need (FYI there are only about 16 different keys), then they will order it for you.. Cost me 20 bucks!

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
jspafford,
That's what I did, my Service Manager came out with the master set, lowered my tire, I threw it in the bed, went home and took the winch out, pulled the lock out with a pair of pliers. Now the crank handle fits right in and works like a champ! By the way it was no charge. Thanks for the input. Happy Truckin'!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58