Help Needed Spare Tire stuck

dpantazis

Reaction score
based on the unfortunate experience of one who shall remain nameless, i did a pre-road trip checkup on the truck.

my spare tire is STUCK up! i can not unwind it from the hanger.

i am going to start spraying it down with Kroil, but what can you do to free this thing up?

dp

atk

Reaction score
i had too deal with this alot when i worked at a wrecking yard, most times i just ended up cutting the cable. there is alot of cable there, so if you do cut it, you should be able repair it afterwards(with a cable clamps) and it will be easier to get freed up, even if you have to remove the unit itself. in the meantime keep sparaying it with penitrating oil and working with it, might loosen up....hope this helps some

i usually remove spare couple times a year and lube things up, never know when you need your spare....good luck

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
based on the unfortunate experience of one who shall remain nameless, i did a pre-road trip checkup on the truck.

my spare tire is STUCK up! i can not unwind it from the hanger.

i am going to start spraying it down with Kroil, but what can you do to free this thing up?

dp
Pre-road trip check... good idear!!!:sweet

How to get it loose? I suggest dropping the truck off a jack three or four times. That'll get her loose.:CRAZY

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Mike you are funny :lol I mean nameless ;)

Be sure to check the slot where the handle goes in to crank it down the spare from time to time. I helped a old feller with one up on the haul road a few years ago. Seems as though the handle would not crank the spare down as the slot was full of dust/mud. Took us a hour of beating and fiddling to get the thing to crank down.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
man at least you have a spare. I got mine ripped off on the streets of chi town about a year ago.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Dennis, I removed mine all together as the Cable was constantly binding within the unit, I built an in the bed spare holder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim