spare tire today

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have been hearing an odd noise whenever I hit small bumps. Sounded like a metal buzzing from the passenger rear side. Never worried too much and could not find anything other than a loose rear hub cover to which I attributed the noise. WRONG (at least I think)

I leave the house this morning taking my daughter to school. We're listening to classical music and hear an unusual noise. She asks "is your truck making that noise?" I say, "no, I htink that is a drum line in the music. It sounds like it is coming from the truck though huh?" We drive about another 1/2 mile and the music stops but the "drum line" doesnt. Obviously, it was the truck. I quickly pull over and hop out thinking "what the hell now?" My spare is hanging down and I have been dragging the bracket for over 1/2 mile. I had to use channel locks to unscrew the remaining support and then, in my good work clothes, heft the damn dirty tire into the bed by myself. Of course, noone driving by does anything more than stare. Just gotta love Dallas congeniality.

So, check your spare. It might be making a warning noise that you are ignoring!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Wow Peter...............that sucks. :confused:

Tbar

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard of folks that lost their spare tire goin' down the intersate.

i'd even heard rumors that there is or was a class action suit about
these tires coming loose from under the trucks...but never could find
anything credible about it.

I know others have filed reports to the NTSB about the cable breaking
or them loosing the spare.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I know others have filed reports to the NTSB about the cable breaking or them loosing the spare.

The OBS trucks don't have the handy cable system. They have a cross bar under the tire supported by two long bolts with eyes in the ends of them. Gotta love the old school system :doh: Heck when I was a kid I had a 68' Datsun truck that had the cable system.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OBS trucks don't have the handy cable system. They have a cross bar under the tire supported by two long bolts with eyes in the ends of them. Gotta love the old school system :doh: Heck when I was a kid I had a 68' Datsun truck that had the cable system.

ahh yes, i remember that now on my f150 (obs)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a guy ever lays under there in the mud trying to install the bolt while holding up the tire with his knees he will never forget :D

i remember fighting to get mine DOWN after i lost a tire on the interstate...
and it must have been the hotest day on record (or so i though)
probably the dirtiest tire change ive EVER HAD to do.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
If a guy ever lays under there in the mud trying to install the bolt while holding up the tire with his knees he will never forget :D

Almost seems like it would make sense to throw the tire in the back of the truck until ya hit dry land..:innocent

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
i remember fighting to get mine DOWN after i lost a tire on the interstate...
and it must have been the hotest day on record (or so i though)
probably the dirtiest tire change ive EVER HAD to do.

Its a good idea to lower the tire and power-wash the whole mess once a year. I'm doing it to mine this weekend now that the snow is gone and the roads are clear. Also a good time to make sure the spare is aired up properly.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Its a good idea to lower the tire and power-wash the whole mess once a year. I'm doing it to mine this weekend now that the snow is gone and the roads are clear. Also a good time to make sure the spare is aired up properly.
Sound advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58