Spartan 210 Tune - Best thing I did.

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering but I think I know the answer, how come I can take my Harley into Harley and they can add a fuel pack that adds just a little over
10hp and change the exhaust and the Harley dealership does it and it's still under warrenty. I can see it now, the ford dealership will put spartan in your truck and the warrenty is still in effect. I know there are a few more federal regulations on emmisions than on my Harley, but it;s still kind of funny, Harley found put a way to make extra after market money and the big three auto makers are to short sighted to see what a bunch of leathered up old hippy guys can see.

mick1955

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was pleased with the power in my 2008 F250 till my friends showed me their power gains in their 2001 to 2004 trucks (GM and Ford). I would say mine is the slowest and has the least power. Even though its quick, Its not as quick as my friends trucks, that are duallies with similar mods. :(

First, the 210 is NOT a race tune. If you want more power, then you need to use one the bigger hp tunes. We have a 250, 275 and 310. If your going to be running someone then I would at least get the 275. The 210 tune doesn't even come close to it.....

Mick @ Spartan

The Lip

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to the forum and diesel truck world. My previous pu was a Dodge 1500 Ram Off Road Edition (5.9 liter -stock).
I then made the move to a diesel. Purchased a privately owned and immaculately maintained and professionally serviced 2008 F350 SD, 6.4 l Lariat. Every option, 20" polished Ford rims etc. Never seen towing, snow plowing anything like that. I knew the individual. Very sucesssful local businessman. Has like 2 or 3 other F250's as workhorses (they even they look immaculate).
What I didn't realize was the fact that this was the first year of the new emissions for diesels. Stupid stupid idea (I know EVERYONE agrees). Anyway enough said.
When I spoke to my local Ford Service Manager and "discussed things" (i.e increasing mileage through dpf delete kits and tunes) he said most of the guys who own these trucks do similar mods. In fact they service many of them (under warranty). That being said I started my research. Brands (Gale Banks, SCT, Bullydog, Edge and Spartan). Spartan always stood out with better features etc..
I called Spartan this afternoon and spoke to Angela (very cool individual, very,very helpful). She put me on to another guy in my area who will do the work (remove dpf, install tune, replace all sensors and catalytic gasket). Spartan highly recommended this man. Called him. Again very, very helpful guy. He said, by far Spartan is the best unit on the market. He indicated he has tried them all. After I described to him my primary reason for the decision to explore a "tune" (I'll call it for the lack of a better term) was increased gas mileage first and foremost, and second the ability to pull my powerboat. He said the best choice also would be the 210 tune for my purpose.
I like the fact that Spartan is undetectable by Ford diagnostic equipment. Unit (console) is physically of better quality (aesthetics, durability). Unit can be used as a monitoring device (in vehicle permanently) or used to set tune and removed. Company supposedly has great service.
Over the next few weeks I'll complete my research and make a final decision. I just know that when this guy told me that if I'm ever towing my boat and the filter goes into regen mode it is loosing alot of power. Maybe less pulling power than my 1500 (gas) Ram. When I heard that I thought to myself that is where the buck stops. I know this has probably been said a thousand times before, but what were they thinking of when they designed this filter/emission system!!!?????? How can you say this thing is more emissions friendly when it burns particulate w/ diesel fuel and then blows it out a tailpipe for like 10 -40 mins.? Do people (engineers) actually get paid to design systems like these?
Last question I've always had is ----what color should the smoke that exits your tailpipe be during regen anyway? White, white and blue-ish?
Thanks for letting me vent. What can you say I'm a noobie to diesels.
S -

Last edited:

64diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I put the 210 Spartan tune in two days ago and I love it. Mileage seems to be better and the power is by far better than the Banks six gun I was running.

HoustonRider

where are my KINGS?
Reaction score
Im running the Spartan 210 tune, with the DPF/CAT delete. No other mods. I have about 400 extra pounds in bumpers (Ranchhand Front and rear), and a Leer cap.

19MPG on the highway, and usually TANK average is more than 18.

What tune can I increase to without adding any other mods? 250? 275?

64diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With anything over the 210 I would say you need a cold air intake. I gained about 1.5 mpg with the intake alone. I'm using the Banks Ram Air intake and I like it.

garychios

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 5" stainless has some rusting along the seams. Calling the place that sold me the tuner and exhaust. I guess its chinese stainless

mick1955

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you want power and economy then get the 275 tune. Unless your friends have a lot of mods and money put into their trucks you will walk off and leave them with the 275 or 310 tune....

You can't even compare the 210 to the 275 or 310 tune.

64diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stainless steel will rust if it comes in contact with regular carbon steel. I'm a pipe fitter, trust me on this one. It will eventually rust even if it doesn't come in contact with carbon steel, the length of time will vary depending on climate and road conditions and quality. Hope this helped.

HoustonRider

where are my KINGS?
Reaction score
I just bumped up to the 250 tune (spartan) and I have the DPF/CAT delete pipe.

The 210 tune I ran for a month, and saw 15mpg city, and 19mpg highway.

The 250 tune I've run for two tanks so far, and see 17mpg city, and haven't traveled for any length of time to calculate highway, but looks like it will be more than 20mpg.

I'm running a 2009 F250 Crew SB 4x4 King Ranch, with a Leer cap and two heavy-ass Ranch hand bumpers (about 400 pounds).

No loud exhaust note. At idle its same as stock. At highways speeds, its same as stock. Full throttle, the only noise you hear are the turbos, and a higher pitched noise from the exhaust pipe. Can't tell its been modded at all most of the time.

On the 210 tune the tranny shifted smooth as stock after it "learned" the tune. The 250 tune power is awesome. I can break it loose at 30mph. Its sweet. Tranny shifts alot firmer than the 210 tune, but it needs to to keep the clutches good. Faster the shift, the easier it is on the clutches.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr