Speaking of Clutches!

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
I got off the phone with Dale up at Tymar, I was tellinghim that I had found a donor truck to do a full "tranny system" swap. He mentioned that if I am looking at more then stock HP that the 6 speed is not the way to go. He said that the clutch won't function properly. He was rattleing off a bunch of tech garb.....

Now The real question of the day, for those running the 6spd, do any of you go above the 300 hp range and how does your clutch react and lastly what product are you running?

Thanks

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
SDEric said:
I got off the phone with Dale up at Tymar, I was tellinghim that I had found a donor truck to do a full "tranny system" swap. He mentioned that if I am looking at more then stock HP that the 6 speed is not the way to go. He said that the clutch won't function properly. He was rattleing off a bunch of tech garb.....

Now The real question of the day, for those running the 6spd, do any of you go above the 300 hp range and how does your clutch react and lastly what product are you running?

Thanks
The stock clutch does not like horsepower. A good aftermarket clutch, like the SOuthbend COnOFE, and you can get WAY more horsepower to the road trouble-free than you can with an automatic. I guess I have to disagree with Dale on this one. IMHO, the ZF tranny is WAY tougher than an auto, as long as you get a decent clutch in there.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
My CON OFE is rated at 450hp IIRC. Smooth and a dream to drive. I lay down just over 300rwhp. Seems to be taking it just fine. The con FE is rated at 500+ and is supposed to be good too. The Southbends don't like to get hot, so heel-toeing to build boost is out of the question. Get a Haisley for that.:D

The one thing that the ZFs don't really like is fast shifts. I raced my truck quite a bit last season and it took it's toll. I only lost 2-3 lbs of boost on shifts.:burnit The synchros hate me now and seem to be on their way out the door.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so who has the best deals on clutches? Any one know how SACHS clutches stack up? I can get them from where I work and they just started offering kevlar and ceramic button disks.

mech2161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The single disc button clutches are grabby. Not real good for towing. I have used the SB OFE and now have their twin disc. You can call Larry or Pat at Discount Power Parts 724-462-3669, they can hook you up.

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Dale seemed like a really great guy on the phone, I didn't agree with what he was saying. Thanks for the input. I appreciate your all's help

Car_nut57

Reaction score
Another option for a clutch that will take the power is the LUK ceramic. Very tough and can transmit a lot of power, but they do tend to be a bit grippy and of course a bit expensive as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg