speaking of tranny fluid...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading my service manuals last night after giving oh6 6oh a bath, and I came across the automatic section. They are calling for Mercon SP. Never heard of it, or seen it for that matter... Anybody know what this stuff is? I guess what I'm really asking is, is it a factory full synthetic, or something else. I know this much, it stinks. Literally. It's like some kind of chlorinated lubricant and from my lab days, tells me it's some pretty funky stuff, with some extreme pressure capabilities.

I did chuckle at the transfer case though, taking plain jane atf, and having a little oil pump and all.

One other thing, is anybody running a tranny mounted PTO? Looking for costs and tips. Thanks Gang!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Mercon SP is Fords own fliud. It is not a synthetic, but it has some sdditives in it for clutch life and seal lubrication. There is no substitute and it is a Ford Dealer item. Sorry, but we keep hearing that some parts chain carries it, but no such luck.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It takes standard mercon I think, but my computer with the DVD is down for water cooling. Some one will add to this.

Dave

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, it is it's own sump. I'm 99% positive it's regular old ATF in there.

The Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx boy`s! I better check it out! I was under the impression it ran from trans to trasfer case!

I guess it would help if i bought a manual! Deuh!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58