Speed sensor????

brokentruck97

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 f350 7.3L
Had this problem a couple yrs ago. Replaced the speed sensor on the rear diff and it has been fine since. Truck will be fine and then my odometer will not show my miles and the truck dont know how fast I am going. This causes it not to shift right, and when it does shift, it is very hard.
I threw a replacement sensor in the diff and it worked fine for about a month and then lastnight odometer went out and same thing.

Please throw me some options at me.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Take it back out and clean it with an old toothbrush or something similar. You need to get the metal particles out of the sensor or it can't read the teeth in the differential, which it uses for speed. If cleaning does not work, a new one is the only solution.

Dave :coffee

brokentruck97

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will pull it out tonight. If that dont work is there anything else that might be causing this??

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replaced the VSS a year ago.. then again a month ago.. when you pull it this time.. if it's fouled with metal particles ? Sounds like it's time for a Rear Dif. lube drain, flush & inspection. (where's the metal coming from ?)

:dunno

Last edited:

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replaced the VSS a year ago.. then again a month ago.. when you pull it.. if it's fouled with metal particles ? Sounds like it's time for a Rear Dif. inspection & flush. (where's the metal coming from ?)

:dunno
x2 I had the abs light flash/dead speedo several times off and on then changed the diff fluid and problem solved.:sweet

brokentruck97

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thinking back on it... after i popped the pumpkin and filled it back up it worked fine. Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58