Speed Sensor

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I had what I thought was the tranny taking a powder. It would rev up with no forward motion, started bucking and jerking then would run through the gears and lock the TC up by 15 mph. As per normal, I was hauling a full load of horses and figured I wouldn't make it home. Got it home and went back to the tranny guy the next day to pull codes and it turned up as a P0500, speed sensor. I had it happen again so we pulled the codes and got the same, P0500 speed sensor.

My question is, is there another sensor I'm missing besides the on on the rear housing? The sensor we pulled was the original with 167k miles on it. The "new" one didn't hardly last 200. Oh after shutting the truck off both times and starting it back up the next mroning it runs like nothing has happened. Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Ron

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Have you ever changed your rear end oil? I could see there being so much metal in there that it would bridge the sensor out again. It is one of the reasons I've changed my oil. A lot of metal builds up in the rear end oil and will cause problems like that.
Jim

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JimmyDee said:
Have you ever changed your rear end oil? I could see there being so much metal in there that it would bridge the sensor out again. It is one of the reasons I've changed my oil. A lot of metal builds up in the rear end oil and will cause problems like that.
Jim

Yeah, everything gets checked every oilchange and fluids get changed per the PM schedule. But it's worth looking at. I'm beginning to think that I want to keep a spare speed sensor with the cps and drive belt... :D

Reaction score
Rookie said:
Last week I had what I thought was the tranny taking a powder. It would rev up with no forward motion, started bucking and jerking then would run through the gears and lock the TC up by 15 mph. As per normal, I was hauling a full load of horses and figured I wouldn't make it home. Got it home and went back to the tranny guy the next day to pull codes and it turned up as a P0500, speed sensor. I had it happen again so we pulled the codes and got the same, P0500 speed sensor.

My question is, is there another sensor I'm missing besides the on on the rear housing? The sensor we pulled was the original with 167k miles on it. The "new" one didn't hardly last 200. Oh after shutting the truck off both times and starting it back up the next mroning it runs like nothing has happened. Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Ron

A shot in the dark but maybe the transmission/PCM is loosing the signal...perhaps the plug at the transmission needs a good cleaning and coat with a dielectric grease to reduce the chance of moisture interfering with the signals. The transmission is electronic and gets its shift inputs via the plug and signals from the transmission flow to the PCM via the plug too. Just a WAG and hope that it may help.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Rookie said:
Yeah, everything gets checked every oilchange and fluids get changed per the PM schedule.
Ford doesn't call for the rear end oil to be changed and thought it might have been overlooked by you. I change mine always at 20-25k and then every 40-50k after that even with synthetic just because of the metal that builds up in it.
Jim

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JimmyDee said:
Ford doesn't call for the rear end oil to be changed and thought it might have been overlooked by you. I change mine always at 20-25k and then every 40-50k after that even with synthetic just because of the metal that builds up in it.
Jim

We do it at 50k so it's been changed 3 times already but it's worth doing again just because. I've also been driving it since the last episode and it's driving and shifting llike normal. Even hauled the horses to a sorting last night and no problems...I just hate these little issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58