speedo not work and OD light flashes

Vdubbugman53

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well while camping i was driving around and my speedometer will intermintly not work and at the same time i noticed that the OD "off" light was flashing. anybody know what the problem could be.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
speed sensor most likely... the PCM can't tell how fast the truck is going so it disables overdrive (hence the light) and doesn't dare drive the speedo...

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
You have a speed sensor screwed into the rear pumpkin. Sometimes you can pull it out, clean it of and it will start working again. If that doesn't work go buy a new one. They aren't very expensive.

Tbar

Last edited:

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
might be the problem i had next time it goes off hit you dash and see if it comes back on, if it doesn you need to take your instrument cluster out put it on the table and on the back at the top about the center connection port there is a tiny connector that goes from the strip onto another connecton. simply put it falls out... i put some Crazy glue on the sides to ensure that itll never happen again.... good luck and let me know if it was the problem.

'57turbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
speedo

I had this problem when I installed a speed recalobtration unit in my 02.
It was a bad ground. Once that was fixed all is good.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
You have a speed sensor screwed into the rear pumpkin. Sometimes you can pull it out, clean it of and it will start working again. If that doesn't work go buy a new one. They aren't very expensive.

Tbar

What Tbar sez.

30 bucks, top of the Diff., 2 pin plug, 10mm bolt w/hold down clamp. 30 minute fix.

Joe

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I paid 30 for mine, seemed to recall it being lower than 20...Agreed, easy fix, I got tired of restarting the truck to get it to work. Don't bother cleaning it, just replace it, it works your ABS as well.
Jesse

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
orion_134 said:
Don't think I paid 30 for mine, seemed to recall it being lower than 20...Agreed, easy fix, I got tired of restarting the truck to get it to work. Don't bother cleaning it, just replace it, it works your ABS as well.
Jesse

I allwayz say THIRTY cuz it depends on the Dealer you deal with.... I pay $16.00, but I've seen as high as $50. Unfortunatly... >some< dealers work on the PT Barnum theory.

Vdubbugman53

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mean if OD actually works? cuz it worked on the highway when i hit it button it downshifter out of OD

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
put a speed sensor in it...

at the very least, it might fix the speedo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58