Speedo

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having trouble with my speedo, its rapidly flucuating when I get above 45 or so and if I'm going 65 it will swing from 65 to 45 then 50 and so on and really rapidly like it constantly is moving back and forath, I just rebuilt the reareng and replace the sensor after a wekk of driving it like this cause I figured it broke the sensor (which it did) with the new sensor it seems to swing worse. im thinking the tone ring might be messed up enough to cause this let me know please. thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tone ring is possible if you have a good sensor that is not damaged. You should be able to visually inspect the tone ring for damage. The other possibility is that your gauge cluster is dying.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Ok thanks so if the cluster is dying what do they cost and where can I get one? or can I even get one still?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
call me a asz if you want, but if your speedometer worked fine before. and the only thing changed in between then and now is you all up in the rear end.......

im going to lean towards new ring. :doh: :sorry

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Yeah before the diff went out it was start to just sway a mph or two and then when I got it back together it went nuts I don't really want to tear that rear end back apart but I suppose I will have to. I could just take a file to the teeth but that could take half the day and make a mess in the housing I would have to clean out so I suppose it would be better off just to replace it.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a junk yard for a guage cluster just be sure to get a diesel one and you'll be fine. I think that the one from an late model IDI will work but I'm not positive.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
tone ring.mine did it after blowing the spider gear through the cover.had 1 tooth missing off the ring.and its started to do it again so time for another tone ring

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14