Speedo

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
My '06 Lariat has the white faced speedo and tach. For several years, when it gets cold outside, I have problems with my seedometer. When not moving, it will show a speed of anything but 0. It varies where it hangs up. When I drive, it just adds to that setting.
For example: If it is hanging up at 30mph, when I reach 20mph, it's deading 50mph.
It's definately in the guage and its usually when it's cold. I've been debating taking the dash apart and checking it out. Can anybody talk me in or out of this.:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would change the Speed Sensor in the Rear End before I took the dash apart. It is on top of the rear end housing with a two wire connector and is not expensive. These usually give a zero speed reading when bad. Who knows :dunno

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drain the rear diff fluid and take the sensor out and clean it really well. It stopped my gauge from bouncing around or going dead at times usually when the oil was cold.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote would be for replaceing the Vehicle Speed Sensor first.... also.

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
Been messing with that already to get my ABS to shut off.
The needle hangs up off of zero with the truck on or off. It's just like its hanging up inside the guage.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't remember when the PSDs went digital but if it's analog.. could be the speedo cable.. or the speedo head itself.

The speedo head went TU on my 91. Odometer still worked but the needle jumped all over stop all over the scale.. then it plain Quit working. replaced it for about 100 bucks, IIRC.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 was about a year old and I told the dealer it was doing this
and they replaced the head under the 36/36. It has worked fine for
the last 5 years.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads