Speedometer not operating/Overdrive button light flashing

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
:( I ran out of fuel the other day :eek: and after refueling and filling the filter bowl it would crank and crank and crank but not start. A guy pulled me home - about 12 miles. It started right up the next morning but now the speedometer is not registering and the overdrive button light is flashing. Please help!:hail

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
..but now the speedometer is not registering and the overdrive button light is flashing. Please help!:hail

I had the same symptoms a couple years ago. It was the vehicle speed sensor in the top of the rear differential. It only cost me about $12 and about 5 minutes to change.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same symptoms a couple years ago. It was the vehicle speed sensor in the top of the rear differential. It only cost me about $12 and about 5 minutes to change.

Yep............it is not uncommon for that to happen.

Tbar

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is getting "pulled" home... You should NOT flat tow a auto without putting the Tcase in N...

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Tranny might be mad at you....12 miles is a long way..It won't hurt to change the VSS though, a cheap test....

hwytom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sounds like vss unless a code needs reclear,like abs ss or vss.

4x4 tow on flat? not recommended need tc in neutral and lockouts free wheeling. and 35 m.p.h. or less

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
Changed the sensor and drove for 10 miles with no change, then it worked for 10 miles and nopw it is not working again.:confused: I disconnected the batteries tonight to see what it does in the morning. Any other suggestions?:thanks

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
there is an output speed sensor in the top of the transfer case if it's 4WD... maybe make sure it's plugged in?

might have crappy connections, might wanna try squishing the female terminal down a little...

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
Leinenkugel Brewed in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin by 73 people who care. Says so on every bottle. Including the one I'm drinking from

Man I miss the Lieny. I grew up on that in MN.
Thanks, That sounds like a possibility after what everyone says about it being towed. What a mess.-popcorn

hwytom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i don't belive unhooking battery will reset codes,should actually read the codes before trying to reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14