spongy pedal and unknown device

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I replaced the brakes on my 350 this weekend. Replaced front/rear pads and front calipers, and resurfaced rotors. bled the front calipers and the pedal feels alot softer than it used to, its REALLY hard to get the ABS to activate, and it feels like the brakes don't release as quickly. i greased the caliper slide pins and new dust boots, also new hardware kits all the way around.

should i re-bleed all of the calipers? is it the flex lines constricting?

Another thing, the previous owner must have installed this device called BRAKE-GUARD. i couldn't find alot of info on it because the company went under a couple of years ago for false advertising claims, but what i did figure out is that it is some sort of regulator that dampens the "Pressure Spikes" thus resulting in a decrease in stopping distance. There are two of these devices connected to the master cylinder, they are connected with T's that go into the outgoing lines.

i was thinking that i may have to bleed these out or just remove them all together. Let me know what you guys think.

IMAG0034.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0035.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0032.jpg
[/IMG]

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I see bleeder screws on those things.. I'd almost say try to bleed them...

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
what did you use to "grease the slider pins" silicone grease or a dry film lube I hope cause wheel bearing grease won't hold up to the temps and gets gummy. remove the after market stuff and try bleeding again.

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I bled the brake guards, then worked my way down to all the wheels. The pedal defiantly seems better but it still feels like its sticking a bit. I used a whole big bottle of fluid to try and get some of the old stuff out.

And I used lubriplate for the slide pins.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you "seat" the brakes? After I do a pad changes, I start the truck and just pump on the brakes for a bit, then I go for a drive. Usually firms the pedal right up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14