Spooky Incident...Cold Related?

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I think I have one or two glow plugs out. It's been in the single digits here for the last few days and when I start the truck, it shakes for a few minutes like a cylinder is not firing. After a minute or two, you can feel the cylinder come to life. It also blows grey smoke until it's warm. Are these problems indicative of a non functioning glow plug?

Now the scary part. I was driving down the interstate with the cruise control set. When I came to my exit, I pushed the OFF button and nothing happened. I then tapped the brakes and the cruise control stayed on. I ended up shutting down the truck and coasting to a stop on the shoulder.

Once I started it back up, it ran just fine. This has never happened to me before and I am kind of thinking that the cold temps had something to do with it.

The truck was at operating temp but the outside air was 9. Any ideas?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Now the scary part. I was driving down the interstate with the cruise control set. When I came to my exit, I pushed the OFF button and nothing happened. I then tapped the brakes and the cruise control stayed on. I ended up shutting down the truck and coasting to a stop on the shoulder.

Mine has done this for years.........your the first person I have heard that experienced the same problem. If i hit the off button and the brake pedal at the same time the cruise does not disengage.......I am braking against the engine. Release the brake pedal and reapply and the cruse disengages normally. Also, more often than not my off button does not disengage the cruise......I attribute it to a dirty contact or age.

Tbar

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Wow that would be scary. Hope mine never does that. As for your cold prob I'd say yer glow plugs or glow plug relay may be goin. Mine does this also if I dont plug it in. So far its been in the teens to 20's in the mornin and mine will start but lope really bad for a few secs then fire off and run smooth. I would test yer voltage to yer gp's and relay. I need to do my gp's but im lazy haha. And looks like I will have to do it in the cold too which will suck even more. Thats procrastinating for ya!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg