Spray-on coating for aux tank?

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions on coating an auxiliary tank with a bed liner-type spray-on coating? My dad has a tank (with elec. pump and hand nozzle) that he took out of his 1-ton dually when he sold it. It's a white steel tank which wouldn't look bad 'cause my truck's white also, but I was worried about it rusting in the future. I've heard warnings before about painting fuel tanks black because of increased temperatures (don't know if it's true- but it sounds plausible), and if so that could definitely be an issue as hot as it gets down here in the south. Just wondering if any of you guys that have aux tanks in the bed have yours coated? Advice?

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
You can have LineX coat it, in another color than black, I think they can do just about any color you want, even white.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the tank installed yesterday! I talked to a few shops and asked about spraying a aux tank black and letting it sit in the hot summer sun. They said as long as your carrying diesel and NOT gasoline, it'd be ok. Here are a few pics - I think it turned out nice!

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is bare aluminum, never occured to me to paint it or coat it with something.

As far as the heat goes, here's a pic of it in the Black Rock Desert where it got up to 110* later in the day - we spent a whole month in the desert that year, plan to do it again this summer (we're hoping to break 130 at Bad Water/DVNP). I don't worry about the heat and my aux fuel tank.

Good luck.

Al

Whata250

Whata250
Reaction score
The floor is my Landcruiser is rhino lined. I thinks its hotter after rhino lining than before .

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments! I figured that spraying it black would make it hotter in the summer- in fact, I was kinda concerned about it getting TOO hot, but the guys at the shop "assured" me that it would be ok. I was more concerned about it rusting than anything else.

Now if I could just figure out a way to make it magically fill itself! I filled the truck up first ($65), then put the rest in the aux tank and the pump stopped itself at $100. :eek: I probably didn't put but 7-8 gallons in it (36 g tank). I guess I'll have to put it in a little bit at a time so it won't hurt so much! :sly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58