Spring bushings

yjsaindon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got a set of leaf springs for free recently from a 6.4 and they obviously won't fit my 2001 7.3. I found a pair of 7.3 springs but want to replace the eye bushings. Does anyone know if the bushings from the 6.4 will fit the eyes of the 7.3 springs or if I can even take them out without trashing them?

Thanks all,
Gabriel

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
factory spring bushings are generally not removable without complete destruction. Unless Ford completely changed their mind they will need to be destroyed to get them out. I'll suggest buying aftermarket ones.

JRJ04

Reaction score
my question is...how in the heck do you get to these things? it just seems impossible to get them out of there. Do you have to take the entire leaf spring off?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the front on the vehicle. I used a ball joint press and got creative.
I used a small jack between the frame and spring in front. To push it down.
Then a cum-a-long to get it pulled to the side to fit back in. I was very very creative.
I would recommend just pulling them out.

yjsaindon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JRJ, I was pulling my springs anyway and I dont see any way to get the bushings out aside from pulling the whole spring. Thanks guys

Last edited:

bserventi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the bushings on my '03 6.0 as well. It has a 6" Fabtech on it. Will the energy bushings fit a Fabtech spring?

Can the stock ones be removed with heat and an air chisel/hamer?
Can they be removed with the springs still on the truck?

If the springs are removed what precautions need to be taken? How important is the accuracy of the reinstallment?

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ox/acet torch works good or a fish fryer. Either way just melt the rubber out of the bushing and the rest should come out. Done this numerous times on Jeeps.

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea...but then how do you get the new ones on without pulling the leaf springs off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim