Spring installation

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally took the plunge. Today I picked up what are basically brand new F code rear springs for a song and a dance...what a deal. These suckers are heavy. I've found V codes for the front, but I'm waiting to hear on some X codes that another guy might give me.

Here's the $1K question. Before I do the install, how will I know whether or not I'm going to end up with a level truck? I wouldn't mind a forward rake, but I'd hate to get all that work done only to see a backward rake.:cussing:
The guy that I bought the F codes from also gave me the 2" blocks that were on his SD, but his blocks are exactly the same size as the ones that are currently on my Ex.

Does anyone have any install tips for either the front or rear installation job?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Tips for spring installation. Get two floor jacks, this will make the job go much easier. Get a friend to help you. I did mine alone and I about ran myself to death doing everything. You will need some big blocks to block up your truck. Some 6 X 6 inch blocks will work.

Dave

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't I only have to jack up the frame just until both rear tires come off the ground and then set the stands under the frame at that height? Why the wood blocks?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was referring to the front end. There maybe other ways to do the swap, that is just how I did mine. Look at my pictures if you want to see. I guess I don't trust my stands at that height.

Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
For the front we used a pair of 12 ton jack stands for the frame and a pair of floor jacks to lift,lower,balance the axle while removing/installing the new springs.

Handy to have a torch on hand in the event the bolts don't break loose so you can heat em up some :sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
DaveBen said:
I would say 12 ton jack stands will handle the job.

Dave
Definitely serious stands but that's the shop had so we used em:D

Spindrift when it comes time to do the front set you'll want a second set of hands to assist as the front bumper has to come off so the front spring bolts can be accessed and if I recall correctly they were the toughest ones to break loose.

Sid,BigK and Tbar was involved in our front spring swap,couldn't have done it without their help :notworthy

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spindrift said:
Here's the $1K question. Before I do the install, how will I know whether or not I'm going to end up with a level truck? I wouldn't mind a forward rake, but I'd hate to get all that work done only to see a backward rake.:cussing:
The guy that I bought the F codes from also gave me the 2" blocks that were on his SD, but his blocks are exactly the same size as the ones that are currently on my Ex.

Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14