Springs and shocks

Houndog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For some folks, like myself, all this suspension stuff is like being on another planet. I didn't like the feel of what I had, but didn't really know what to do about it, or what to expect after making a change.

With the help of two good friends last week, I now have V codes and rancho's. When I jumped in the truck for the first time it was real late at night and I thought the ride was ok. As the days have gone by this week, I've been able to drive my usual routes and after almost a week, it's like a miracle. No more bucking bronco down the road. It's like a different vehicle.

My biggest problem now is that there are to many positions to choose from on the shocks. I started with them set on 1 for a few days and now I've been on 5 for a few days. I love both settings. The ride was so crummy before the springs and shocks that every setting is better. I had no idea that I would be this happy. I guess I'll just drive for awhile and when I feel like it, get out and reach under the truck and change settings again!

What settings do you Rancho owners use and why?

Houndog :thumbs

PS - Thanks to Bill and John for the brains and brawn :thanks

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I set 'em in the middle 'cause I couldn't tell which way was higher or lower. Been 2 years now and they're still set in the middle.

Maybe I ought to go play with 'em some. Then again, maybe not.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Houndog said:
What settings do you Rancho owners use and why?

Houndog :thumbs

PS - Thanks to Bill and John for the brains and brawn :thanks
Howdy there Houndog,I have our 9000X's at 4 front/3 rear for regular street highway driving,when we're in tow the rear shock set goes to #5-#7 depending on the load.

Springs and shocks make a big difference on the Excursions,wait till you get the sway bar ;tu

Bill :cowboy:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
Who makes the best rear sway bar for a '05 Excursion?
I wouldn't necessarily say the "best" but the house name round here is "Hellwig"

You'll want Hellwig #7643

Bill

bonfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sounds great houndog. THis is the next mod on my X. Had to do the air intake first as it was time to change it, but I'm looking forward to springs and shocks. Glad to hear you like your set-up. :thumbs

Bill

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 03 4x4 X I had the ranchos set on the softest setting - 1 cuz I'm such a softie :)

My logic - set the shocks soft and the tires hard for the best ride and best fuelage (mpg) :)

cturrisi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
on my 03 4x4 X I had the ranchos set on the softest setting - 1 cuz I'm such a softie :)

My logic - set the shocks soft and the tires hard for the best ride and best fuelage (mpg) :)

The cheapest sway bar you can install is the Ford factory 30mm rear bar. It uses all of the factory mounts and links. It also takes about 15 minutes to install.

F81Z-5A772-AA Sway Bar 30MM List $55.35 and comes with the bushings attached. This is a part for a 2004 250/350 not an Excursion.

If you don't have a sway bar at all on the rear here are the mounting part numbers you will need:
1) Stock excursion sway bar links. Sorry I don't have the P/N for these.
2) E5TZ-5486-B Listed as Ret. RR These were the U shaped mount covers for the sway bar mounting rubbers. $14.62 Each
2) E5TZ-5B498-AA Bracket, This is the flat on one side and curved on the other to fit the diff housing bracket. $13.80 Each
2) N803758-S56 U Bolt that goes around the diff housing to hold the above on. List $4.32 Each

Hope this helps,
--------------------
Chris Turrisi
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Excursion Limited 6.0 - PSD Door Badges, BFG T/A KO 285/75-R16 Tires, C-Bet'r Mirrors, Catch-All Mats, WeatherTech Rear Mat, 4x2 Hatch Struts, ISSPRO EGT/Boost A-Pillar Mounted Guages, The Diesel Site Coolant Filter & External Trans Filter Kits, Underhood Insulation & Weather Strips, Factory Mud Flaps, 22" Wipers, Valentine 1, Over Rear-view Mirror Mounted ISSPRO Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts, Diff/Tranny Temp Gauges, Custom Carling Switch Panel, KC Highlites back-up lights, Rear SuperSprings, Custom 12v Power Outlets, Door Courtesy Lights, Vinyl Tubed Door Seals, Dynamat Extreme on Doors & Floor.
www.turrisimotorsports.com

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered Bilstein shocks for my stock 2003 Excursion. AFter 55,000 miles, I figured the stock ones had done their thing.

Bilstein just updated their internal info (not the website yet)... that the 200 - 2001 Excursion shocks will not fit through model year 2004.

I went with the Bilsteins since they are a single setting gas shock. I like their quality and was leary of the adjustable setting feature of the Rancho 9000RSX's. Ordered them from eshocks.com and they paid for shipping when ordering all four.

Hopefully, will get them installed this weekend (Labor Day).

Jeff

CHPMustang

Reaction score
cturrisi said:
The cheapest sway bar you can install is the Ford factory 30mm rear bar. It uses all of the factory mounts and links. It also takes about 15 minutes to install.

F81Z-5A772-AA Sway Bar 30MM List $55.35 and comes with the bushings attached. This is a part for a 2004 250/350 not an Excursion.

If you don't have a sway bar at all on the rear here are the mounting part numbers you will need:
1) Stock excursion sway bar links. Sorry I don't have the P/N for these.
2) E5TZ-5486-B Listed as Ret. RR These were the U shaped mount covers for the sway bar mounting rubbers. $14.62 Each
2) E5TZ-5B498-AA Bracket, This is the flat on one side and curved on the other to fit the diff housing bracket. $13.80 Each
2) N803758-S56 U Bolt that goes around the diff housing to hold the above on. List $4.32 Each

Hope this helps,
--------------------
Chris Turrisi
2005 Excursion Limited 6.0 - PSD Door Badges, BFG T/A KO 285/75-R16 Tires, C-Bet'r Mirrors, Catch-All Mats, WeatherTech Rear Mat, 4x2 Hatch Struts, ISSPRO EGT/Boost A-Pillar Mounted Guages, The Diesel Site Coolant Filter & External Trans Filter Kits, Underhood Insulation & Weather Strips, Factory Mud Flaps, 22" Wipers, Valentine 1, Over Rear-view Mirror Mounted ISSPRO Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts, Diff/Tranny Temp Gauges, Custom Carling Switch Panel, KC Highlites back-up lights, Rear SuperSprings, Custom 12v Power Outlets, Door Courtesy Lights, Vinyl Tubed Door Seals, Dynamat Extreme on Doors & Floor.
www.turrisimotorsports.com

Chris you know if the hex nuts was included with the U bolts and the end links came with the washers and hex nuts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14