sqeaking tailgate

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
so my tailgate is making this extremely annoying sqeaking noise and it took me forever to finally figure out that it was the tailgate... any suggestions on how to stop the sqeakin?? has anyone else had this problem?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Maybe some WD40 on the hinges?

yeah that was my thoughts... i haven't had the chance just yet cause i was leaving the house when i figured it would... it seems like there might be more to it than that....

you could just send me your 08 and ill be just fine....:)

where did you get your 08.. maybe i art to just do that instead :sweet

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I bought mine new from the dealer and then had it painted.

Some white lithium grease on the hinges would probably last longer and stop
the squeeks.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
lube is always good. also check to see that it is tight against the bumps when its closed, you may need to adjust the strikers in closer to the bed.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't understand. Is it squeeking when you open it or while it's closed and going down the road?

closed... driving down the road.... of course i don't hear it at cruising speeds but i live on a 1200 acre farm and when im riding around the farm or i am in town driving the stip i can hear it up to about 20-25 mph....

when the gate is closed you can take your hand and place it anywhere on the top of the gate and move it just a lil and make the squeaking noise...

i know that every truck will make this noise if you go back there and shake the gate enough but im tellin you this one is different...

Zookie made a good point.. that seems along the right track.. im headed out the door now to see what i can come up with...

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the gate is squeaking at the bump stops for the gate. Just adjust the lock pin on the side of the bed. Bump them in so the gate does not move. May need to loosen them a 1/4 turn and hit them with a hammer lightly then snug them up. :sweet

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
it was the drivers side locking mechanism (whatever that thing is called)... sprayed some WD40 on her for a quick fix... maybe a little too much play in it?? ill see how long the WD lasts...

thanks to all for the suggestions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14