Squeak in the front end

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Must be my trucks time of the month...

It developed a squeak in the right front on Saturday whenever I turn the steering wheel. At first I thought it was the steering damper, but it doesn't seem to be the source of the noise--the noise sounds like metal on metal screeching. Anyhow, what should I be looking for? I only get the noise whenever the steering wheel is being turned.

Thanks.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'd put the front end on a rack to check for wheel bearing play,perhaps there's flex in the rotor against the caliper or it's brake related?

Without actually hearing it I'm throwing guesses out there.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that or one of your ball joints took a dump... could also be a steering arm.

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Replace the steering stabilizer shock. If you drive it during the winter in snow or any salt roads they only last to about 50-60k.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I'd put the front end on a rack to check for wheel bearing play,perhaps there's flex in the rotor against the caliper or it's brake related?

Without actually hearing it I'm throwing guesses out there.

Actually it happens only when the wheels are turning--turning as in left to right not as in rotating, so I don't think it could be anything in the wheel itself.

I'll try the steering stabilizer and then the ball joints. They can't be that expensive, right??

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Actually it happens only when the wheels are turning--turning as in left to right not as in rotating, so I don't think it could be anything in the wheel itself.

I'll try the steering stabilizer and then the ball joints. They can't be that expensive, right??

For a quick check if you have someone there with you start the truck up and put yourself by the stabilizer shock and have someone just turn the wheel left and than right and see if the noise is there at the shock. Odds are it is coming from the top of the shock casing that is closests to your right front tire.

If you don't have someone there to do that will just take the shock off and drive around the block and see if the noise goes away, or you could just turn the wheel without the shock hooked up.

New shock from Napa is about $40. SC-2961 I think is the part number.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
For a quick check if you have someone there with you start the truck up and put yourself by the stabilizer shock and have someone just turn the wheel left and than right and see if the noise is there at the shock. Odds are it is coming from the top of the shock casing that is closests to your right front tire.

If you don't have someone there to do that will just take the shock off and drive around the block and see if the noise goes away, or you could just turn the wheel without the shock hooked up.

New shock from Napa is about $40. SC-2961 I think is the part number.

Thanks. I just picked up a new shock at Advance Auto tonight for about $40. Even if the shock isn't the problem, the one I have on there is rusted since the boot slipped off during the winter.

I had a buddy turn the wheel while I was laying under the truck and it's coming from either the stabilizer shock or the tie rod--it was kind of hard to hear exactly, so we tried feeling for the vibration and that was difficult too. But like they say, if in doubt start with the cheapest thing and work your way up.

If it's the ball joint, Advance has them too, but the tool needed to do the job costs $150 to RENT. Couldn't believe that one.

I'll keep you posted once I get the shock changed out tomorrow night.

Bruce

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Check the sway bar behind the Tie Rod. It goes across at angle. The bushings could be worn and that will squeek every time the front end moves and especially when turning the wheels.

atk

Reaction score
Must be my trucks time of the month...

It developed a squeak in the right front on Saturday whenever I turn the steering wheel. At first I thought it was the steering damper, but it doesn't seem to be the source of the noise--the noise sounds like metal on metal screeching. Anyhow, what should I be looking for? I only get the noise whenever the steering wheel is being turned.

Thanks.

my did the same thing a month or so ago...ended up being the ball joints....all good now...

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
my did the same thing a month or so ago...ended up being the ball joints....all good now...

What was your cost to replace them--parts and labor? Did you do it yourself?

I swapped out the steering stabilizer last night to no avail. Squeek is still there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58