Stalling problem at low speeds/idle

stachiestach

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke and for the last couple of months at random times my truck will stall when it is at idle or when i let off the gas at slower speeds. It has also happened when i have turned corners. Most of the time it happens like when i am idling through parking lot isles. The truck just shuts off and the battery light comes right on and then the oil one after. I know both of these lights are on when the key is on but the truck is off. So i don't know if anyone else has experienced this or has any idea what it could be. I am thinking it has to do with the electrical system or some kind of relay. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also my back up sensors randomly started going hay wire. They will make a weird sound just when in reverse and they will do the full beep (like when you are really close to something) when i am not near anything. Also before i would have to turn them off, but now when i turn my truck on they are already turned off, and if i turn them on they still don't work. Well any help would be great.
Thanks,
Steve

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
sounds like you a case of slowly dieing CPS.read the cps thread at the top of this forum.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Batteries? How old are they? Are they the originals? I'm thinking batteries because it is happenening at lower speeds when the alternator is not at full output. Bryan

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough call. I'd do Both. CPS and Bats.

If the batteries are original stockers, then I would get them replaced (not checked, replaced). Batteries have a 5 year life expectancy. Anything over that is borrowed time. Especially on our high demand trucks.

That said, my dads 97 would randomly stall at idle or decelerating/low speeds. Bad CPS.

stachiestach

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the info i went and got my batteries tested last night and they are perfect. From the thread on the CPS i am thinking that is the problem. I called up my local Ford dealership and they guy was saying that could definately be the problem. He also said it could be a few things, but the bad thing is that he would have to charge me about 2 hours of labor and he might not even have an answer. I scanned it yesterday with my buddies edge evolution and there was no CPS code. I am still thinking I am going to order one from that link on the thread and replace it anyways since it is only $90.
Also, do you think it might be a good thing to replace my fuel pump. I have 54000 miles on it and i am the second owner, and i am not sure if the original owner has ever replaced it.

Steve

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump should be fine. I wouldnt worry about it unless you are having fuel delivery issues, or its making just a TON of nosie.

Scanners rarely pick up a code for CPS. This is why even Ford will come up stupid and say they cant find a problem. If the cmoputer doesnt show a code, they cant fix anything anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14