Stalls cold

BG Truck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm the new guy and I need help. My truck starts up in the morning and then dies almost instantly. It will then not start without long starting or else spray WD.40 in the intake until it will stay running. After that, it starts all day just fine and runs great. I think an air issue. I replaced fuel pump, return lines, rubber supply lines, glow plugs, controller, fuel filter. I even put a check valve after the electric pump to prevent fuel from running back to the tank. Same problem. Has anyone had this? The truck is 1983 F250 with 6.9, probably 150K miles Thanks, Bruce

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD BG_Truck. My only thought is that your injection pump may need to be rebuilt. The usual symptom is OK on cold start and hard hot starting. The WD 40 spray tells me that you are not getting enough fuel to start.

Dave

BG Truck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Welcome to SDD BG_Truck. My only thought is that your injection pump may need to be rebuilt. The usual symptom is OK on cold start and hard hot starting. The WD 40 spray tells me that you are not getting enough fuel to start.

Dave
Thanks Dave, thatwas what I was afraid of, guess I'll have to start saving. Bruce

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They are not too bad to get rebuilt. I paid about $250 for my 7.3 injector pump, I think.

Dave

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
just wanted to say hello and welcome BG.

what part of mississippi do you live in?

i am in NE AL.

glad to have another SE stroker in here, even if you are from MS.

just kiddin.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look at all of the fuel line connections for leaks. It is a common problem for air to get into the lines if the o-rings are bad. Look around the injector pump for leaks.

Dave

BG Truck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dave, I replaced the o rings on the injector where the little collar slides over it. These came with the return line kit. Are there any more? I do have a rubber fuel line from the fuel filter to the injector pump. It appears someone cut the metal line for some reason. I replaced this line with new clamps, and this is not leaking. BG

BG Truck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fixed a leak

Think I got it fixed. A metal fuel line with some kind of rubbber inside the flare nut. Replaced with an elbow and a hose barb. I think I wore out the starter tho. BG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58