Starter or Starter Relay?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation -- go out to start the truck this morning, turns over a few times, but doesn't start (that's my glow plug relay talking -- I'm getting a new one). So, I try to short the glow plug relay so I can get the plugs warm enough to start. When I try to go back and start, it's like it's dead. Not a constant clicking noise like you get one some gassers when batterys are dead, just a single click.

So...

I bumped the starter with a screwdriver, it spins up and we eventually get it started that way. After bumping it a time or two, the key would spin, but after a short time, I'd have to bump again.

My question is -- is the starter bad, or the relay?

I'm leaning towards the starter, just want to make sure before I go ripping it out.

Thanks guys.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Well,

Good question.

Have you tried to bypass the starter relay?

It is on the Pass side fender well.

All you have to do it get a screwdriver or wrench and connect the 2 big post togeather for a sec.

If it cracks better good, I would say Relay ;)

They are the SAME as the Glow Plug Relay ;)

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did try that, but nothing happened...no sparks, nothing. Not sure what that means (I did have my wife hold the key in the start position, so I guess the current was flowing enough through the relay that it didn't make contact through the screwwdriver?)

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Ya don't even have to have the key in the start position, it should try to turn over.

All you are doing is feeding power to the starter.

Make sure the screwdriver isn't coated with anything.

Might try something else, like a wrech or something that has bare metal ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14