Starter Problem!!

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
Here's the situation. Went to start the truck this afternoon (after driving all morning w/ out problem). I turn the key and get a loud click under the hood. No crank at all. So I get a new starter solenoid (passenger side fender well). I connect everything on the solenoid. thats fine. when I go to connect the batteries I get a spark and the same click from before. If I leave it on I smell burning electronics... not good. Im guessing it might be the starter its self but I dont know:confused:

Thanks,

Zach

ps : when I hooked up the batteries to try and start there was no power in the cab

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
The clicking sound your hearing is the solenoid working like it should(don't need a new one necessarily). The problem you have, is the starter motor is bad. You need a new one. The starters come with a new solenoid on them, so I don't change the solenoids by themselves. Jmo Also, check to make sure you got all the wires on the solenoid on correctly, maybe you have them turned wrong onder the nut, and their touching something and shorting out. :eek: That would cause a burning smell? Good luck!

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
The solenoid wires are so hardened they only go one way. If I am correct the 3 negative (green or grey) wires go on the large post closest to the front of the truck while the two red (one small and one large) go on the other large post with the little wire that fits over one of the small studs.

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Zach, I just looked at mine and the big red wire is on the post closest to the front of the truck. The small red wire on mine is on the back post and I have a striped double wire on the front big post going to the GPR.

I had the same problem not that long ago with my starter. Just a big "click" and nothing, not even the dome light came on after that. I did find a 30 amp big fuse under the hood that had been blown so I replaced it and replaced the starter. After that, everything was fine. I also had the batteries tested just in case. Mine were both fine.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58