Starter rebuildable????

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my orig starter (Baby :thumbs Swamps install/purging of oil gallery finished it off)with a SD type from ebay. It is "OK," but I would like to have a back-up(orig 3 bolt).
Question--are parts available to rebuild it? Assume(I know the ass-U -me scenario)iIt will need brushes and bushing/bearings. Any one done it? I recall(?) some talk on the DS about NOT being user friendly to the rebuild by owner and needed to go to a "specialized shop." :thanks

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on--I can`t believe there is NO answer. PLEAZEEE-Don`t force me to go back to the DS to get such info. Or GOD forbid, research it myself???

Joe

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish I could help you but if you've got yours already replaced then I'd be tearing into the one you have that's toasted to figure it out. I'm certian if you need special tools it'll become evident. But that's just the stubborn part of me.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the older trucks but when mine went on my truck I asked about a rebuild kit and there wasn't even one offered..

For me there was no option of keeping the old starter after I got the new one. Autozone's core charge was almost as much as the new starter... :eek:

We run a specialized starter for our race truck and have had it rebuilt by a local shop that does alternators and such... wasn't cheap though. I think it cost almost as much as a new one would. After the first rebuild we decided to just buy new. The local place didn't offer any warranty on the thing after the rebuild... mainly because it was going in a race trcuk. The new one at least comes with a partial warranty.

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my factory starter rebuilt three times locally buy a "starter and alternator shop". I have had alternator rebuilt two times by the same shop. What I like about these guys is that they replace most everything internally where most of the cheaper parts warehouse stores just replace what is shown to be bad. Starter rebuild has been $125-$150 and alternator cost have been $75-$100. I don't have to own test eq. and tools at this price plus they stand behind their rebuilds.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I believe the starters on the Super Duties a gear reduction starters and I would imagine yours is the same. If so, be very careful if your rebuild it, we had a neighboor that did starter rebuilds and he said the gear reductions can be dangerous because they have strong springs inside. I have rebuilt a few GM starters and it is just bearings and brushes, no big deal. You need to be sure the rotor is good though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14