This is whats been done:

New Fender mounted starter relay
New starter mounted solenoid
cleaned battery terminals.
batterys are new last summer.
12.5vdc in the batteries.
temps are hovering around 0°F
trucks pluggged in.

all I get is a click from the fender mounted relay when you turn the key to start. I read in my DVD manual to take a jumper wire to the starter mounted solenoids "S" terminal and nothing happens.

I can use the screw driver to by pass that starter mounted solenoid and the Engine will crank over, this is after the glow plugs have cycled and the engine will start up.

once the engine has warmed up it will start normally with the key. once it is cold it will not start up.

Today I went out to check a few more things and both batteries are now dead. I got them charging but that will probably take all night with my small charger.

138k on the truck

Any ideas?

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Idea

Sounds like a possible fusible link, get a hold of a wiring diagram and check the inline fusible link to the solenoid on the fender, no power at the starter when jumping it tells me the hot side at the starter solenoid (fender) has no voltage, you also might want to find out what's drawing your batteries down too!

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do need to find out whats drawing the batteries down. that will take some help from the wife and she's at work.

I had 12.5 volts on the power side of the solenoid relay on the fender.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think'n Batteries first. A static charge of 12.5v doesn't really say much (IMO).
Load test them, independent of each other, totally disconnected from everything.

"New last summer"... with batteries, doesn't always count ?

Joe

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to pull them after they are finished charging and take them to the parts store to be tested. I checked the dates on them and they are 08/08, not that it means one didn't take a crap.

if they did they have a 3 year full exchange on them so that will be a cheap fix.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't see any thing else that it could be. Do you? Joe is correct that 12.5 volts at the battery is not a lot, but it should work. Good luck.

Dave

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree , even though he replaced the seleniod already he got a bad one . If there is voltage to the terminal from the ignition switch , and it also starts when you jump across the terminals thats all it can be .

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my Shade-tree think'n but... with only 12.5v showing, from 2 batteries.. if you jump (short) across the starter terminals.. there >Might< be enough volts/amps to fire it up. Yes ?

BUT, if you energize the whole "System".. in the normal way, with the Key.. it won't ??

Hmmmm, I'm still think'n Batteries.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14