Question starter symptoms?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
What are symptoms of a starter that is going bad? Do they simply fail or die slowly? If slowly, what are the telltale signs?

My truck suddenly has become difficult to start as if the batteries are low. However, unlike previous times when my batts died, I am hearing a shrieking as it starts up that goes away once the motor catches. I plan to have the batteries tested today but I've never heard this before. Sounds kind of like a long zipper being pulled quickly.

Thanks!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Batts turn out to be in good shape.. By what you describe, I'd suspect your Starter IS going south. 100K on a 13 year old Starter ? That's alota Starts ?

The Screech is kinda typical of a starter going bad.

Joe

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
If your Batts turn out to be in good shape.. By what you describe, I'd suspect your Starter IS going south. 100K on a 13 year old Starter ? That's alota Starts ?

The Screech is kinda typical of a starter going bad.

Joe

X2
the screech could be the bendix spring being weak and the engagement to the ring gear is being ground.
best bet is to put a new one on.

the gears on the starter are designed to be sacrificial. however do a good eyeball on the ring gear when you have the starter off and make sure there are no burrs or missing teeth

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
yippee. how much are starters? Im going to look up oreilly's to see. no spare money for spendy parts.

Thanks guys.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yippee. how much are starters? Im going to look up oreilly's to see. no spare money for spendy parts.

Thanks guys.

I have played with other brand starters on my truck. Just go with the OEM starter. Chances are the drawl on the battery are going to be high and your going to have a slow turning starter, unless you like crawling on you back under your truck in the winter don't waste your time. Check some of your local auto parts stores and see if the have motorcraft starts. Price wize around florida $213.00+/- maybe less out there.

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. That would be great but Im in LBB. How hard is this? It looks like 3 or 4 bolts and the power connector. Is there more to it than that?

Why don't you bring that big rig of yours here for a football game? Heck of a way to tailgate!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. That would be great but Im in LBB. How hard is this? It looks like 3 or 4 bolts and the power connector. Is there more to it than that?

Why don't you bring that big rig of yours here for a football game? Heck of a way to tailgate!

Peter
its not to hard
since the trucks are up a bit it makes it easier to worm around,

A lift is ideal but not required.

tailgate sounds good, beer and nachos :D

we thought about going home through lubbock, but i was just flat beat down.

dpantazis

Reaction score
the started is probably suffering from sitting too long between drives. these trucks NEED to be driven. i'd bet if you looked inside, you will see signs of corrosion.

the starter is heavier than it looks, be careful.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Well, 250$ and 2 hours later, it's fixed. It was the starter. Both batts tested good and now it cranks immediately with no more shriek. You are right dpan, it is a heavy little bastard. All gears were good but I suppose 12 years and 114k was its lifespan.

Thanks for the inputs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58