Help Needed Starting issue

dommertl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here while back my starter started not engaging everytime. Since then I have replaced the starter (the starter gear was spotless), inspected the ring gear (spotless, no chew marks) and replaced the starter solinoid. It continues to do it every so often (atleast once a week). Sometimes it is just one time and then it starts and sometimes it takes several times before it engages. The batteries are less than a year old.

Could it possibly be my ignition switch itself?

dpantazis

Reaction score
how often do these trucks get driven?
if they sit too much, you can get condensation in the starter which makes prematurely fail.

it could be the ignition switch or column wiring, but that is a hard one to dignose. you almost need a semipermanent test light wired in to verify it when it happens.

dp

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you say not engaging what is it doing? is the starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel?

Have you replaced the starter solenoid on the fender also?

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i would replace the starter. if you replaced the solenoid already then it's starter most likely. get one from ford and see if it stops if the problem still occurs then you have a spare starter and know it's not the starter. i can't see the ignition switch doing that, but you can change that out in a matter of 10 minutes if you wanted to try it, about 25 bucks for a new ignition and keys and then put yours in run position, push in the lock on the ignition and it pulls right out. put the new one in with it in run position and then turn the key off and your done.

dommertl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

The truck is driven everyday. I put about 23,000 miles per year on it.

The starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel ring gear. It sounds nasty when it does it but I have found no scarring/ chew marks on either of the starters (orginal or new installation) or the ring gear.

I replaced the fender well solenoid after the new starter did the same thing as the old starter.

I think I will go ahead and replace the ignition switch as I don't know what else to do except repurchasing starter and solenoid and trying that.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Les

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
definitely starter from ford if it spins. and if your going to buy another anyways you might as well get one for a super duty. direct bolt on and it has more torque!!!!! haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58