Help Needed Starting Issues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hobhancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need some direction on this. I have been having some long starts lately. I let the "wait to start" light to go out before cranking. It will crank for about 8 seconds before it starts. I have done some research which I wonder if it is the glow plug relay. After it is hot it starts just fine on one second crank. My question is, is the glow plug relay the round terminal beside the fuel bowl on the passenger side or the rectangle silver looking thing that sits directly behind that terminal? How do I test the round terminal if that is it? Could it be a bad glow plug? By the way, the vehicle is a 2000 Excursion Powerstroke. I have a new fuel filter in it and new batteries.

Can anyone help?

Thanks you so much.

hobhancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They could be the original. I have owned it since the beginning of 2004. How can I know if they need to be replaced for that reason?

hobhancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have that report. I just dont remember what it said. I will check tonight. How difficult are they to change?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
They could be the original. I have owned it since the beginning of 2004. How can I know if they need to be replaced for that reason?
Take the valve cover connectors loose and OHM out the outer pins, those pins go to the glow plugs. If you have more than 1.0 ohms per plug then they are getting weak, if you have any plugs that read 0 ohms then that plug is dead.

You can also take a heavy screw driver and jump across the two large terminals on the GPR for 30-60 seconds and then hit the key. If she starts good then you can suspect a bad GPR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14