Starting problem

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've noticed after my truck sits overnight, It starts right up but seems to have extra fuel in the cylinders. It lopes really bad for a few secs then clears up. Blows smoke out the driver side stack. Its a grey smoke. Must me fuel leaking by and getting extra fuel in the cylinders? What you guys think? The engine oil still looks good so no fuel in there. I dont think the injectors have ever been changed or anything to my knowledge. Pretty much a stuck fuel system.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glow plugs and/or GPR are most likely the other contributing factors may include VUC harness and or VC gasket connectors.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
It didnt do it this morning. Still runs great. And i dont have to crank and crank on it. It fires right up 2 revolutions, just lopes a few secs.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didnt do it this morning. Still runs great. And i dont have to crank and crank on it. It fires right up 2 revolutions, just lopes a few secs.

It's a Dezel ? It'l do that "Smoke'n Lope when Cold" thing ?

A new GPR might be in the near future tho... ?

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
But its never done it before in the cold. Last yr in the dead of winter it never did this. And it was even colder than it is now. Started right up again no prob this mornin. How much is the GPR and is it hard to replace?

JRJ04

Reaction score
But its never done it before in the cold. Last yr in the dead of winter it never did this. And it was even colder than it is now. Started right up again no prob this mornin. How much is the GPR and is it hard to replace?

cost is about 30 bucks...and its very easy to replace. loosen 4 wires, pull the old gpr out, fasten it back in, and you're set

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But[ its never done it before] in the cold. Last yr in the dead of winter it never did this. And it was even colder than it is now. Started right up again no prob this mornin. How much is the GPR and is it hard to replace?

Kinda why I voted for a GPR. Seems they can get weak & intermittent.. instead of just quiting. Good, relitivly cheap place to start.. with a "Starting Problem" too.

Under $60 bucks.. There are several makers.. but be sure you get the right one ? I just get'm from IH.... for the sake of get'n the right one.

Basically just a Solenoid..Easy to R&R.. On top of the engine, just behind the fuel filter canister. Remove the old, replace, paying attention to the wiring connections. 20-30 minute job.

Best to disconnect the battery's.. :dunno

Joe

On Edit ? What JR sez

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks guys! Wonder if Ford would have it too? If they do, would Ford be better or IH?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks guys! Wonder if Ford would have it too? If they do, would Ford be better or IH?

Ya, Ford would have it.. but you'd most likley PAY a hansome (Way To Hansome) price for it.

IH parts for a IH motor has some merits too ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14