Starting question

JamesF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2002 F250 7.3

This weekend, after sitting for 2 1/2 days, I went to start my truck. After starting, the speedo and tach both pegged themselves at the max for a second and then dropped back down to normal - I didn't see what the rest of the guages did. Normally, they just rise to the normal settings (speedo at 0, tach at 750 rpms). The next day (and every day since), it has started up normally.

I bought the truck used and believe that the batteries are original. Lately, it seems to spin over a little slower if it's been sitting for a day or two, but it always starts.

So, any ideas? Is it just an indication that the batteries are getting old?

Thanks.
James

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in most vehicles w/ electonic gauges you can run a self test where they will all sweep their entire range and I'm guessing this is what you did on accident. I'm not sure what is required to make it happen on a SD or even the OBS trucks (I'd have to look in my books) I do know that I have to go into the self test mod whenever I want to reset the oil service light on my mom's 325 and that gives me the sweep of the needles.

JamesF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Anything new on this James?

Hey 95 - sorry I never updated this.

I went and bought a couple new batteries - Motorcraft's with 850 cca (I believe). I didn't realize how low the batteries had gotten - one had a crack in the case. The engine spins amazingly fast during start up now.

In any case, I haven't seen any more instances of the guages acting wierd since the new batteries.

It was curious though, the terminal was like new on one battery, while the other battery was corroded over. Did the coke trick and cleaned it up.

James

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
JamesF250 said:
Hey 95 - sorry I never updated this.

I went and bought a couple new batteries - Motorcraft's with 850 cca (I believe). I didn't realize how low the batteries had gotten - one had a crack in the case. The engine spins amazingly fast during start up now.

In any case, I haven't seen any more instances of the guages acting wierd since the new batteries.

It was curious though, the terminal was like new on one battery, while the other battery was corroded over. Did the coke trick and cleaned it up.

James
Another one chalked up to low batts. Glad youre all fixed up now James.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries can cause some weird problems on these trucks. Call me crazy but I change them every year before winter. I don't mind spending a little xtra just to be sure.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
That's good to see you've solved the problem. I've never had that happen to me before but if it does I'll know what to look for.:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58