Steep, steep mountains.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news;

Our stock manual trans truck did great going up and down 6 to 7% grades over to and back from the coast. 3rd gear handled all hills at 40-45 mph with a full truck, 5th wheel, extra water and extra 25 gallons of fuel.
We took some great pictures of the coast and herd of Elk, but there is to much to post here. We had a great, safe trip. We would recommend Redwood Trails near Orick California to anyone wanting a very nice campsite. Great food and lots to do around the area. :thumbs

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time That's what camping is all about. Glad to hear that your truck did what you wanted it to do. It is so nice when you have a good hook up that handles so well.
Nothing wrong with having 325 HP and 600 FTLB TQ. to make mole hills out of them mountains

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that you had a great trip. Now that you know what your truck will do with that load, the remainder of the trips will not be as much of a worry. :)

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man you did that and didnt puke...and here <from what i read> i thought
these trucks were ticking time bombs ;)

glad to hear/read that things are goin' well and youre pleased w/ your
rig !

atk

Reaction score
glad you and your wife had a safe trip and enjoyed yourselves....sounds like your truck did a fine job of hauling your trailer....:thumbs ....i too just hauled a good load and truck worked awsome. never go back too a gasser....:sweet

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that everything held together for ya and that you and the wife had a good safe trip. Glad that ya'll are back.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes we had a great time, and was very pleased with how the truck (stock) pulled the 5th wheel. Next year, after the surgery, when we get past the great divide, most of the country is fairly flat. In overdrive at 60 mph, we are at 1600 rpm. That should give us great mpg. We averaged 13.2 mpg on this trip, and was heavy on the throttle going up the steep grades in 3rd gear at about 2200 rpm. which is between 40 and 45 mph. Temperatures stayed in the normal range.
I posted two pictures on the gallery.
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=1754

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
looks like a nice spot. how was the 299?

we were thinking of going up the 101 some time next summer with the TH, w/o the toys though :(

bet it was nice getting out of the heat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14