Steep, steep mountains.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a nice spot. how was the 299?

we were thinking of going up the 101 some time next summer with the TH, w/o the toys though :(

bet it was nice getting out of the heat

299 out of Redding is a steep twisty road, with 15 mph turns in some spots. It is a beautiful view though going through the mountains. It was 100+ in Redding and it was 65 degrees on the coast. It has been 104 degrees here in Redding for this last week, but since we are getting ready for surgery, we are here for the rest of the summer. This would be a nice time to go back to the coast.
If you get to Redwood Trails, give it some thought about spending at least one night. It is awesome to see the Elk in the morning. I could go on and on about the things to see and do, but you must go and see it for yourself.
:thumbs

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not checked the weights yet... That is something I need to do.

I was suprised to see how heavy my trailer, truck and whats left of a 78 bronco was. once I put it all on the scales I found out why I only get 10 mpg @ 65 mph.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip Maxtor, I Just got back from fishing trip to Green Mountain Reservoir. That is off of HWY 9. HWY 9 comes off going North off I-70 just after the Eisenhower Tunnel going west. It has some stretches of 5-7% grades of about ten miles a piece. I am currently hauling about 13,000 maybe a little more (thats two trailers). Fully loaded fiver 10,200 and 4 rail motorcycle trailer w/bikes. My lowest unapieded speed was 50 mph. I was very pleased and even more impressed with the tow/haul going down hill. Love this truck.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip Maxtor, I Just got back from fishing trip to Green Mountain Reservoir. That is off of HWY 9. HWY 9 comes off going North off I-70 just after the Eisenhower Tunnel going west. It has some stretches of 5-7% grades of about ten miles a piece. I am currently hauling about 13,000 maybe a little more (thats two trailers). Fully loaded fiver 10,200 and 4 rail motorcycle trailer w/bikes. My lowest unapieded speed was 50 mph. I was very pleased and even more impressed with the tow/haul going down hill. Love this truck.

That is great. Even stock, our trucks do a very good job.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
nice. sounds like a trip next year for sure. we've been in the mid 70's all summer here and been dying to go out of our area, but too hot in the valleys.
that and the house re-modeling seems to to just drag on.... :)

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Yes we had a great time, and was very pleased with how the truck (stock) pulled the 5th wheel. Next year, after the surgery, when we get past the great divide, most of the country is fairly flat.
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=1754

If you mean the continental divide I was there last Thursday and did not see any flat ground no matter which way I looked!!!! :)
Maybe the Great Divide is something else all together. :dunno
Glad your trip went ok. What was your route and stop over points?
Rick H...

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean the continental divide I was there last Thursday and did not see any flat ground no matter which way I looked!!!! :)
Maybe the Great Divide is something else all together. :dunno
Glad your trip went ok. What was your route and stop over points?
Rick H...

Yep Rick; Once east of the Continental Divide, it is relatively flat to the
east coast.
Our trip was to get out of the heat of Redding Ca. and go to the coast. We departed Redding Ca. and went east on 299 to Eureka. Took hwy 101 north to Redwood Trails which is about 7 miles south of Orick Ca. It was 65 degrees there when it was 105 degree in Redding. Lots of sights to see, and good food to eat.
RV4FUN: Quality Resorts Home
They have a private pond out back where kids old and young can catch stocked trout up to 16 inches. Trees of mystery, beautiful beaches, etc. etc. :sweet

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
looks like a nice spot. how was the 299?

we were thinking of going up the 101 some time next summer with the TH, w/o the toys though :(

bet it was nice getting out of the heat

I've run 101 down around San Luis Obispo, and from the SF Bay area up into Oregon. If you stay off of Hwy 1, it's all good. 1 is too narrow if you're not an experienced driver very comfortable with your rig, and know exactly where it is at all times! 101 gets a little skinny for an inexperienced tow-er up through the Redwoods south of Eureka, but it's not bad. You can drive it as fast as you want though, cause I haven't found a grade on that route yet that I couldn't take however fast I wanted towing 28' full of H2O, food, toys, toys, toys...!

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
299 is a fun little road. I once made it from Chico to Eureka in 4 hours flat! Towing the TT with the family is a bit frustrating though...Every time I start to enjoy the power, especially on that stretch just above Whiskeytown, I gotta choose...slow down and roll the wife's window down, or deal with what happens to her if I don't. Maybe I'll have to leave her home some time!:roflmao

On a serious note, we went through Orick to Brookings OR in mid-July. First we stopped to admire two elks grazing that each literally had racks wider than my SD. Then we stopped across the street from the Prarie Creek Redwoods SP campground and watched two brown bear cubs nibbling on black berries in the meadow. It was amazing!

If that cg you stayed at is the one I'm thinking of right on the east side of the highway, my wife and I commented that we would have to stay there sometime (since the state park only allows TT's up to 24'). We thought it looked nice. If you didn't you have to get to Fern Canyon in the State Park up there. It's a mild hike surrounded by a canyon of ferns. It's kind of prehistoric, but quite beautiful (and cool)!

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Good for you, I am very incouraged about my trip south this fall, I have the same setup and feel I will be satisfied. I towed my car this week and up hill I noticed the speed control controls the boost to about 20PSI. What was your boost indicator running at when going uphill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14