Steering box gear mesh

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sitting in my shop at work, with absolutely nothing to do. I think I want to adjust the gear mesh on my steering box. I understand the process, but does anyone know the best way to attack it? Take the airbox out? Fender liner out?
Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a shelf under the air box and I am not sure you can get to it by way of fender liner. I was just out looking at mine, and it looks like I would do it from underneath the front end. I can touch the bolt/nut on top. Limited access just like most things on these trucks. Let us know.

Dave

FLynes

Retired Army Guy
Reaction score
The last time I adjusted a gear box was on my '72 K5 Blazer, which was about 10 years ago. Refresh my memory on how to do it. What is the advantage of doing it on these trucks?

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjusting the mesh can get rid of some "play" in the steering wheel, as long as your balls joints and everything are in good shape. Ford's procedure is to loosen the jamb nut, (nut and set screw combination on top of the box) turn in the set screw till snug(not tight) then back off 1/16th of a turn, and tighten the jamb nut. If you get it too tight it will make the steering difficult. I have approx. 45 degrees of movement in my steering wheel before any movement of the control arm. Also my truck has gotten some oscillation on bumps from time to time, and I guess this is a partial fix for that as well.

Since I have some time on my hands, I might as well do something productive.

Last edited:

FLynes

Retired Army Guy
Reaction score
Good to hear that, thanks. My balls joints and everything are in good shape, so now I just need to worry about the truck! :lmao

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

OK here is the scoop-
I could just barely get a wrench on the nut from underneath the truck, there is a big ass radiator hose in the way on my '05, and I had very little control over my adjustments I was making from there. The box is VERY accessible if you remove the fender liner. The extra 15 minutes to take it off and put it back on was well worth it. The adjustment is right out in the open this way. Very easy- total 45 minutes this time, would take me 20 if I did it again.:sweet Makes a big difference in steering slop, haven't hit any big bumps yet to check for steeering oscillations.

Just a note, this is an 05 so it has front coils, the older trucks with leaf springs may be easier to adjust from the bottom, I do not know:sorry Dave said he could touch the adjuster from the bottom, I couldn't even get my hand close. I was able to just barely get on it with a flexible gearwrench.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The box must be slightly changed in location. I will take your recommendation into consideration.

Dave

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Did mine a couple weeks ago by removing the air filter. It was still a pain to get an allen wrench in there (past the radiator hose) so I cut some fan shroud out of the way with a dremmel. This gave me enough clearance to use a socket with a 6" extension on the allen. Much easier! I could repeat what I did in 10 minutes next time.

The amount of fan shroud was only 1*2" and was on the outside of the shroud so no harm done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg