Steering Box Leak

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one know if I change the bottom oil seal of the steering box by removing the pitman arm and pulling it out from the bottom. Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would think not. The shaft will get in the way of "pulling" it out. You will have to remove the shaft and then pound it out.

Dave

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I changed on my Grand Marc and just pulled the Pitman arm. If you are lucky, after the arm is pulled, put an oil pan under the seal and start the truck while turning the steering wheel at the same time, you have about a 80%-90% chance of blowing the seal out with oil pressure. It was about a 15 min job for me because the trick of allowing the hydraulic pressure remove the seal worked for me. The truck may have a different gear box and may or may not work.
Jim

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD I think i"ll give that a shot. If that doesn't work I'll try digging it out with a pick and a screwdriver. If that doesn't work I may have to resort to disassembly method,thanks

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
The guy that told me that trick also loaned me a couple of picks and said it was about an hour job to get them out that way. Don't know if he was pulling my leg or not but the pressure way worked slick.
Let us know how it worked.
Jim

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get to it yet. Hope this weekend

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member