Steering box

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to change out my gearbox with one from Redhead. Any advice for a first timer? Do's/Don'ts. Special tools to make the job go easier, etc, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will probably need a drop pitman arm puller, can be rented. check your hoses and if they look bad, you might replace them too. I just replaced my power steering pump, and both hoses for $100. Never replaced a steering box. But definitely the pitman arm puller.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are having to replace it? Just curious since your truck is pretty new.

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a long, long, long story.

Alignment was checked by a very good shop. Many upgrades to the truck and still a wander going down the highway. Took it back to the alignment shop and verified that everything was good. Owner of the shop, who has an Ex, took it for a drive and confirmed what I was experiencing. Went to my "trusty" Ford dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with the truck. Left a telephone message for the GM of the dealership. No response. Wrote a letter to the GM...no response.

I don't have the time. or energy, to fight it anymore. Feel more better doing the work myself than trusting the dealership and an OEM box. From what I understand, Redhead boxes are top shelf.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
You can't adjust the gears? Did mine a few weeks ago and it helped quite a bit.

Tbar

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that, too. No difference. In fact, it almost feels as though the gears are locked up because any adjustment makes no difference in the little play I currently have in the wheel.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Please elaborate, Lance, as I would like to tighten mine up a bit.

I first indexed the screw with some white paint. Then I loosened the lock nut and made 1/4" turn adjustments with an allen wrench until the tires moved in unison with the steering wheel(truck running) or something close to it. Held the position with the allen wrench and retightened the lock nut. A little fluid leaked during this proceedure but stopped when I tightened everything back up.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14