Steering Column

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a noise/rattle in my steering wheel. It makes noise at slow speeds when I hit a rock or bump. No sound when turning stop to stop. If I turn the wheel back and forth when the truck is off I hear the same noise. I think I have a bad bearing in the column, I was told there are two. How hard are they to replace and how hard is it to drop the steering column?
Thanks. Zero

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE *****. everything needs to come apart. i did mine a year ago, and i hope they last forever.

i dont think you have a bad bearing though, if you did your wheel would be loose, and tiny greasy balls would be falling onto your clean white pants while you drive.

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a mechanic tell me that's what it is but I don't know. As for the bearings falling out, they may already be gone. I've had the truck for three years and it has done it since I got it.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try grabbing the steering shaft under the hood in the middle & see if it moves up & down alot ...If so there is supposed to be a plastic type of a bushing in the slip joint that wears out,,, (much banging):rant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl