Steering Gear Pre-load

dpantazis

Reaction score
i am getting a bit of squirrelyness on the road at near or at highway speeds. its really un-nerving. its stressful keeping the truck going straight.

just changed all 4 ball joints and essentialy have new unit bearings on each side. did an alignment twice. tie rod ends are good. i added a steering damper-truck did not have one before.

i am wondering about the effect wearing tires have on the steering. they were just rotated and balanced- and the tech said it was a PITA to get them to balance. my steeltex tires are 2-3 months from being changed out, and i am hoping to get away with making it to winter when i put the snow tires on.

after some poking around, i am considering adjusting the steering gear preload.

reading the manual, it says to remove the steering wheel and airbag, remove the fan and shroud. like 2 hours of shop time!

is it really that involved? can i just tweak the adjuster a bit and go for a drive then tweak it some more?

thanks

dennis

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
are your lug nuts tight? i dunno i would have guessed a sterring dampner they said that to properly fix this to use the dual stabilizer set up not much but its all i have for ya

dpantazis

Reaction score
ck-

i did check the lugnuts with a TQ wrench.

before i did all this, the truck had no steering damper and behaved well. once it started acting up, i added a damper.

now that everything is nice and tight, i am wondering about the steering gear. hoping that BigJoe or JLD will chime in.

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am getting a bit of squirrelyness on the road at near or at highway speeds. its really un-nerving. its stressful keeping the truck going straight.

just changed all 4 ball joints and essentialy have new unit bearings on each side. did an alignment twice. tie rod ends are good. i added a steering damper-truck did not have one before.

i am wondering about the effect wearing tires have on the steering. they were just rotated and balanced- and the tech said it was a PITA to get them to balance. my steeltex tires are 2-3 months from being changed out, and i am hoping to get away with making it to winter when i put the snow tires on.

after some poking around, i am considering adjusting the steering gear preload.

reading the manual, it says to remove the steering wheel and airbag, remove the fan and shroud. like 2 hours of shop time!

is it really that involved? can i just tweak the adjuster a bit and go for a drive then tweak it some more?

thanks

dennis

ck-

i did check the lugnuts with a TQ wrench.

before i did all this, the truck had no steering damper and behaved well. once it started acting up, i added a damper.

now that everything is nice and tight, i am wondering about the steering gear. hoping that BigJoe or JLD will chime in.

dp

First, I'm thinking Worn Tires. With new Ball Joints and Unit Bearings, Everything, Front End is now.. tight(er)... With worn tires, the "Contact Patch"... is greater, and could be jerking you around. (No slack, like before)

Try adding some tire pressure. Say 5 lbs, drive it. Then 10.. any Dif ?

The Dampner. Is it a Center loaded type ? or more of an Absorber ?

Yer call but I would'nt mess with the steering box.. till you've tryed the above

dpantazis

Reaction score
BIG JOE- i upped the tire pressure all the way around. iirc, 70 front 80 rear, or maybe 60/70.

the damper is like a shock absorber. the OWM replacement from Napa, attached at the spring pad on the PS.

if tires weren't to the tune of almost $1K, i would change them now.

dennis

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE- i upped the tire pressure all the way around. iirc, 70 front 80 rear, or maybe 60/70.

** I'd pump the fronts up to the Max.. per Steel-Tex.. + 5 lbs, try that.

the damper is like a shock absorber. the OWM replacement from Napa, attached at the spring pad on the PS.

**I'm not FwD these dayz but the damper I installed on this truck is a Safe T Plus.. It's center loaded @ 20 lbs,, took the Ford, "Wander" clear out.

You might try removing the one you have (that it never had) .... With the added tire PSI ? give that try too.. ?

if tires weren't to the tune of almost $1K, i would change them now.

dennis

I'm still thinking the Worn Tire/Road Contact patch effects. Does it PULL left & Right ? or Wander ??

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
same thing..
If it jumps around every time you hit a bump or pavement irregularity (Dude, I'll call you sometime tomorrow), I'd have to say steering gear or something similar..
if it just plain slides around, I'd go tires..
weren't you coming up this way next weekend anyhow?
If so, I'll be off Friday and Saturday.. I can look at it then..

dpantazis

Reaction score
i figured the free option was the best one to try. i finally broke myself away from day to day bs and wrenched. i tightened the adjuster snug tight and then backed off 1/4 turn. snug tight was touchy- too much interference from the locknut and crud. i ended up backing off the nut a bunch and then ran it back down.

things i learned- coolant filter is in the way. my left arm got a workout snaking by the fan and the alternator. a 3/16" allen socket is the way to go to get the adjuster snugged. using an allen key, it will hang up on the fan shroud and the like, but with patience its certainly doable.

steering is tighter. slop is almost gone. took it for a test drive around town and it felt better. pudding test tonite on the highway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58