Question Steering Help????

tatt4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I can't get the play out of my steering and really need help with this. From the top. 2006 f250 6.0, 6" lift, 37 " tires on 20s, NEW Steering gear box, NEW track bar, NEW tie rod ends, NEW inner drag link (outer seemed good?) NEW shocks, NEW tires (ouch) it also has a dropped pitman arm. I checked the ball joints and had the alignment shop check them when it was aligned and they are good. I've got 4 to 6 inches of play in the steering wheel maybe more. After a 10 hour drive I'm tired from moving the wheel back and forth. HELP:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a bolt with a jamb nut on it. Loosen the nut about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Now tighten down the bolt until you feel it coming to a stop. Tighten the jamb nut and check the play. Tighten it further if you need to.
To lock down the bolt, do NOT tighten the bolt, use the jamb nut to lock it down. The bolt sets the play in the steering gear.

Dave :)

tatt4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking about doing but with it being a new box didn't know if I should. I ask at the local Ford house if a new box was pre tightened and couldn't get a for sure answer out of them. I'll get out there and give it a 1/4 turn after the sun goes down. I'm in Texas and it's HOT out right now.

Thank you for your help Dave.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, it should be good and tight. Take it back if it is not. Hot here also, 100°.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58