Steering problem after offroad driving

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left the hubs on auto the whole day. Hmm, my situation here at school really sucks for vehicle maintenance. My truck is currently parked outside, in a gravel lot, half a mile away from my room, and I have no tools here. Simple tasks like jacking up the front end to have a look become major projects here.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
grab onto the front driveshaft and see if it can free spin (make sure t-case is in 2x4) no need to jack up the front end for that.

as for the ball joints....your going to need that jack.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might check to see if you broke the shaft on the power steering pump. See if their is any play away from the pump. I did this in a 96 chevy while doing donuts in 4X4. Had pretty much the exact same symptoms. Good Luck.

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help fellas. I determined the problem yesterday. While driving through one of the little mud holes I must have struck the steering stabilizer.

I noticed a small puddle under the stabilizer yesterday. While there didn't appear to be much damage, there were drops of shock absorber oil on the dust boot. I removed the stabilizer and now the truck steers fine. Upon closer inspection I found damage along the under side of the stabilizer body.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few weeks ago i saw one that had BENT the stablizer...
was bent so much you could see it comin' at you down the road...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14