Question steering problems

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Ok when i drive my truck it feels like the steering is sticking and have to herd it down the road. I had all new ball joint installed july 2010 and have only put 2500 miles on had the alinment rechecked they say it all good i have looked at all tie rod end look good and tight but one to the steering box has a little play when i move the wheel back and fourth. I am at a loss what to look for next..:dunno

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Ok when i drive my truck it feels like the steering is sticking and have to herd it down the road. I had all new ball joint installed july 2010 and have only put 2500 miles on had the alinment rechecked they say it all good i have looked at all tie rod end look good and tight but one to the steering box has a little play when i move the wheel back and fourth. I am at a loss what to look for next..:dunno

Is the steering feeling like it's actually sticking or does the truck feel like it just wants to wander somewhat from side to side?

A worn steering box with excess play would make the truck want to wander. If it has flat spotted ball beaing races, it'd would likely feel like it is sticking in the same steering wheel position.

Other sticking components might not cause the steering to stick with the steering wheel in the same position.

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
it was ok till i got new ball joints.. Lets say I am driving a straight line and the truck starts to go left so i correct it to go right if i turn the wheel to go right the truck comes back to straight but be ready to start correcting back to the left. if i turn the wheel something feel like it is holding it there.. it is not as smooth as it use to be..

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
If it has flat spotted ball beaing races, it'd would likely feel like it is sticking in the same steering wheel position.

are you talking steering or wheel bearings..

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
steering box bearings. it would be like your steering has indexing.

from you second description i would guess alignment. do you watch them when the put her on the rack?

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
I'm having the exact problem with my '02 Excursion diesel. I had the left ball joints replaced, and they aligned it but didn't have a printout. A friend owns a shop and couldn't find any obvious problems, but recommended an alignment by an expert. I had the alignment checked today at the "go-to" alignment shop in my town for difficult alignments.

They said the ball joints can be really stiff when new, and to give it some miles. If that doesn't correct it, they can take the alignment to the edge of the recommended settings and that should keep it straight down the road. I think that would mask the problem...

Are the steering gear bearings replacable, or is does it mean a new box?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg