Question Steering question

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced both the steering box and pump. Do I need to fine tune the steering box? It seems a little stiff like there's a detent you have to push out of when you're going straight. It also doesn't want to "come" back to center easily. It does but not like it used to. Is the steering box good to go out of the box or do I have to adjust it?

Thanks
Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It should be set to the proper clearances at the factory and you should NOT have to screw with it. Drive it for a while and see if it loosens up. My truck was that stiff from the factory and I it drove in.

Dave

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
sounds like its tight, but it is new so like dave said, give it some time before you mess with it.

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only been about a month since they were changed out so I'll give it somemore time to wear in. Thinks for the help

Ron

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
a month......hmmm.....let one more month go by and if its still not returning on its own i would say let some tension off.

drbigknuckles

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sounds good...My next question would have been how long does it take to wear in.

It shouldnt have to wear in. I changed my gear box and it worked good the first day something must wrong. It could be out of adjustment from factory i have got alot of bad new parts...maby in your case it will wear in. Im not 100% on that one just seams funny.

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Steering box

It should work fine right out of the box. Take it back before it's too late. Most of this stuff is rebuilt in a foreign country on a dirt floor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58