Help Needed Steering wander

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called the dealership. Since this problem seems to occur most often in the morning after the truck has sat all night and it's cold, I'm going to leave her in their parking lot Sunday night and then meet up with one of the mechanics Monday morning at 0700 to see if we can't duplicate the problem. I'll let you guys and gals know.

Howard

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I had some dangerous wander for a while. The kind that made you wonder if you were going to make it to your destination. I replaced everything, ball joints, shocks, SA bushings... etc... Nothing helped until I replaced to steering gear box. This was on a 06 w/ 90K at the time. If your 00 still has the original box? it could easily be the culprit.adjusting a bad gear box will only make things worse. (yes speaking from experience)

I ordered one of these and had a local guy install for about 80 bucks.

Red-Head Steering Gears, Seattle WA - Red-Head Steering Gears Home

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some dangerous wander for a while. The kind that made you wonder if you were going to make it to your destination. I replaced everything, ball joints, shocks, SA bushings... etc... Nothing helped until I replaced to steering gear box. This was on a 06 w/ 90K at the time. If your 00 still has the original box? it could easily be the culprit.adjusting a bad gear box will only make things worse. (yes speaking from experience)

I ordered one of these and had a local guy install for about 80 bucks.

Red-Head Steering Gears, Seattle WA - Red-Head Steering Gears Home

Did this only happen on cold mornings after you truck sat idle over night but did not occur later in the day? That's what mine is doing. It would seem to me that a worn gear box would'nt care what the temperature was.:dunno

Howard

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Did this only happen on cold mornings after you truck sat idle over night but did not occur later in the day? That's what mine is doing. It would seem to me that a worn gear box would'nt care what the temperature was.:dunno

Howard

Yep, but it would also seem that all other steering components wouldn't care about temp either. If anything could possibly be affected by temp I would say fluid or gearbox related. The rest of the system stays within a narrow temp range the whole day.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I had a thought, how about something like worn bushings with the track bar and/or bushings?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well, I got my truck back last night. They claimed they took the front end apart and couldn't find anything wrong and that all it was was an alignment problem. Paid for it and went for a test drive. Something still didn't seem right but the wandering problem was gone... or so I thought.

Drove her to work this morning. Still seemed as though something wasn't quite right with the steering but again, no wander, until I got about 10 miles from home. I made a hard left hand turn and I instantly knew there was going to be problems. Sure enough she was wandering all over the road and I could just barely control her. After a couple of miles I made a hard right turn and heard a clunk. After that she tracked fine. The dealership will be getting another call this morning.

Howard

five bucks says it's a frozen axle joint

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Sorry, you loose. Pay me the five bucks.:D Dealership already checked for that problem and said they u joints are tight.

Scot: non-greaseable.

Howard

someone at your dealership is a spank. :stir
I'm not talking loose, I'm talking frozen up.
Have them check again.
Ask them if they popped the tie rods off both steering arms to isolate it to the knuckle or the linkage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl