steering wheel play

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since i have owned the truck i have had some steering wheel play, but recently it is getting worse i have replaced the powers steering fluid with new atf last week it didnt really seem to change. but know i have a problem were it will not want to turn the tires while stopped and when driving the steering will shake back and forth and it feels like it is loosing pressure . could it be the p/s pump. im sorry i cant describe it better.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'd have to say 1"-2" play is the norm but no more than 2",perhaps the steering gear box needs some adjustment as I had done on our '02 which now has Nascar style response steering with maybe .5" play.

Could also be bad tie rod/s,I had to replace one last summer while in Phoenix.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I adjusted the allen screw for the gearing within the box. I know a few of the other owners have done the same,lemme get the box wrench and allen wrench sizes needed unless someone beats me to it.

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
I had to make the same adjustment on my truck a few weeks ago. Technically it's simple, physically its a little wierd. I had to pull out my air box and secondary battery to get on top of the steering box. Going in through the fender skirt was not an option. My alignment guy at Les Schwab tells me that you should only give the allen screw 1/4 turn. It absolutly firmed up the steering wheel response. Also, check the big 'ol nut that holds you pitman arm on. If it backs off the splined sector shaft steering will be very sloppy and unsafe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14